• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing rare fruits, edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals.

Re: That Myrica rubra stuff from a few years back

Postby DavidLJ48 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:05 pm

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
The seedling in the pic, looks like my best out of 2 dozen seedlings that sprouted. It looked like yours, and finally died a couple seasons ago, it seems to be a soil problem, fatal leaf burn symptom and slow growth. My struggled for a few years or more, but enviably died, like the others which died within their first year of life.

My plant, was just a little taller then yours, but looked the same, looked better this time of year, but most of the leaves were dead by fall. One reason I finally decided to go with Myrica cerifera, for rootstock.

I was frustrated, I used a good potting soil, but some have said, that planting and native soils is better, it could be they don't like manufacture fake soils, or so much organic material.

I think the some of the Bay Area soils, maybe more viable for Myrica ruba seedlings.

David
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Postby shaneatwell » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:34 pm

shaneatwell

Climate Zone: USDA 10a, Sunset 23
Is it possible they're missing their symbiot Frankia?

Postby sokoo » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:46 am

sokoo

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 9b
shaneatwell wrote:Is it possible they're missing their symbiot Frankia?

That could be one factor.
I have never successfully raised a yangmei seedling in a pot, even just for a few months. In comparison, I have never killed a single M. cerifera or M. californica, either in pot or in the ground.
For all the yangmei seedlings in the ground, it makes a big difference whether it receives good shade.

Postby yeti17 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:18 pm

yeti17

Climate Zone: USDA 10A
I had a pleasant surprise last week: two yangmei seedlings in my seedbed! I bought 100 seeds from a Chinese Ebay vendor, and planted 50 on January 18, and 50 two weeks later after cold stratifying. There is so much disagreement about pre-treatment, that I scarified some of them (rubbing on concrete pavement :-D), treated some with GA, and cold stratified some. Some received two treatments, and others all three. I didn't keep track of which got which because I'm lazy. Whatever the case, 2% germination after a little over two months is better than what I got before.

Postby yeti17 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:25 pm

yeti17

Oh, before treating the seeds, I cut three open to see if they looked viable. Two were smaller, and were EMPTY inside (just a thick seed coat, no inner kernel). The third was larger and had what looked like a viable inner seed. I didn't want to cut any more open, so I can't say how many were actually duds, but this may explain why some people get low germination with this plant.

Postby yeti17 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:40 am

yeti17

Seedling #3 just emerged! The other two are looking great so far; I keep them under my patio- they get mostly indirect sun and a few hours of direct afternoon sun. I occasionally acidify the irrigation water to 5.5 or so. If you're interested in the Chinese Ebay vendor, I can post it here.

Postby mattcoug » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:04 pm

mattcoug

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 15, USDA zone 9b
yeti17 wrote:...If you're interested in the Chinese Ebay vendor, I can post it here.

Please do!

Postby DavidLJ48 » Fri May 20, 2016 4:47 pm

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
This year I had a better graft take, on my largest and most growth flushed rootstock; last year it only kept one male graft, but this year, it kept two QiBi grafts and one of them is going crazy with growth. The next largest rootstock took one male graft low on the plant; and my potted rootstock again, did not even take one graft again.

I have concluded that they need to have a very good flush, for the grafts o take, and they need put on, here in the Central Valley, in March, if not mid Feb or so. The Myrica cerifera I have, seems to almost grow some all winter long, if not too cold, as it has been the last few years; but for the grafts to take, they need a supper good growth flush.

With this understanding, I can see why in China, why they maybe are soil planting the rootstock, for grafting.
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Postby sokoo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:35 am

sokoo

Here are a few pictures from last year. Anyone else has interesting updates?
Attachments
yangmei trees may2017.jpg
yangmei trees may2017.jpg (219.98 KiB) Viewed 259 times
DSC06660.JPG
DSC06660.JPG (1.25 MiB) Viewed 259 times
DSC06661.JPG
DSC06661.JPG (1.22 MiB) Viewed 259 times

Postby sokoo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:38 am

sokoo

two more
Attachments
yangmei harvest.jpg
yangmei harvest.jpg (325.92 KiB) Viewed 257 times
DSC06618.JPG
DSC06618.JPG (160.46 KiB) Viewed 257 times

Previous

Return to Rare Fruits, Edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:39 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login