• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing fruits and rare tropical and temperate fruits, and tending our orchards

The best mangos for California

Postby Axel » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:28 am

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: sunset 15/USDA 9b
Did we ever settle on the best cultivars for Northern California? I am getting a greenhouse in 2011 and would like to put in a mango. So what is your recommendation?

Re: The best mangos for California

Postby Ben » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:33 am

Ben
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: NZ Z10
Axel wrote:Did we ever settle on the best cultivars for Northern California? I am getting a greenhouse in 2011 and would like to put in a mango. So what is your recommendation?

Axel,

Cant help you with the mango, but am interested in the GH. What size and type is it?

Postby nullzero » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:26 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Axel,

As long as its a condo mango type and the temps are kept over 35 degrees in the greenhouse. I don't think you will have any issues with most mango varieties, however I have heard that Mangoes don't like the cool nights or fog very much. From the research I have done, some of the most recommended dwarf mangoes are the following;

Nam doc mai (Condo size, asian mango with great taste)
Pickering (Productive dwarf mango with great taste)
Fairchild (Productive dwarf mango with great taste)
Neelum (Condo mango, August harvest and great taste)
Lancetilla (Condo mango, August/Sept. harvest great taste)
Carrie (Condo mango with great taste)
Mallika (Condo mango with great disease resistance and taste)

I would check out the Pine Island Nursery viewer to get an idea. Also would recommend buying the mango from either http://www.plantogram.com or http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/. The mangoes can be a little pricey shipping but its worth it, both the following places ship large healthy sized mangoes.

Here is a handy mango viewer
http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/mango/index.shtml

Postby tammysf » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:25 pm

tammysf

Climate Zone: z9b / sz 17 (i think)
Hi Axel,

when i did the large order from laverne i spoke to the rep and he told me that most people seemed to have alot of success with the glenn.

i got one and the last 2 winters have not done any protecting and it even got hit with a hard case of hail and it survived. i also got a ripe fruit without doing anything special and the fruit was REALLY yummy.

i also have an alphonso.

i HAD a carrie, ice cream and lancetilla but they all died.

my take on it is that because of our climate the growth is going to be ALOT slower than in tropical areas and we also have the issue of damage from cold so while alot of people recommend dwarf or condo trees, i think the opposite. i think that it is best to get a vigorous grower so if you do get some damage on your tree hopefully it will recover quickly.

stan has had alot of success with manilla and his bailey marvel survived the last cold spell without any protection so he is convinced that it is a little more cold hardy...but he has not gotten it to fruit yet.

if i can find room for one more mango tree it will be an edward. heard the flavor is awesome and that they do well in california...

BUT i really recommend the glenn if you can find it...the laverned rep said that it was the least fussy of the mango varieties that they sold and so far he has been right...at least for me.
My Gardening: http://marinmangos.com/

I am trying to grow:
plums, pluots, mangoes, blueberries, persimmon, strawberries, apples, kiwis, peaches, cherimoya, dragonfruit, cherries, oranges, lemons, figs, feojia

Postby tammysf » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:34 pm

tammysf

Climate Zone: z9b / sz 17 (i think)
wanted to add that if you are just going to go for taste and production my 2 would be:

maha chanok mango
edward mango

from what i have read from another grower of mangoes in florida with a bunch of different varieties (i think he has 38) those 2 tend to be top of the heap taste-wise and when people go visit and he gives them taste tests people tend to agree that they are amazing.
My Gardening: http://marinmangos.com/

I am trying to grow:
plums, pluots, mangoes, blueberries, persimmon, strawberries, apples, kiwis, peaches, cherimoya, dragonfruit, cherries, oranges, lemons, figs, feojia

Postby Tom » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:30 pm

Tom

Climate Zone: 9B
If it's going in a green house then disease resistance would be a priority I would think. I wouldn't get a condo mango just for size restriction. You can always prune. Late or early doesn't matter either. I'm assuming your mango will be in the green house all year round of course.

I like Edwards the best. Haven't tried Alphonse but that's got to be a must from what I hear.

Postby Ethan » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:54 pm

Ethan
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 9/9
From my trees I've only tried Lancetilla and Graham, the Lancetilla had a nice traditional mango taste the Graham was strongly reminiscent of coconut in the flavor. If you have plans to use them green and ripe then Nam Doc Mai might be your best bet. If it is in the ground in the GH, why not multigraft it like some of your other trees, then you could have mangoes year round.

-Ethan

Postby brettay » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:30 am

brettay

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 16
I agree wholeheartedly with Tammy. Small sized mango trees are not the best for California. I have had several condo mangoes and they barely grew at all. I assume this is mostly because of our cool nights. Better suited to our environment are the larger more vigorous mangoes. Hey, you can always keep them pruned to a manageable height. After struggling with small sized mangoes for a couple of years I purchased a Bailey's Marvel and Valencia Pride. They started putting out vegetative growth almost immediately and seem very healthy.

Now, which mangoes will produce the best fruit with our cool nights is a completely different story. I would imagine that there is limited experience in this area.

-Brett

Return to Fruits, Rare Fruits, Orchards and Exotics

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:27 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login