• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing fruits and rare tropical and temperate fruits, and tending our orchards

The Ibis avocado: Large, great tasting black skinned gem

Postby Axel » Wed May 11, 2011 10:46 am

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: sunset 15/USDA 9b
Freddy and Ellen at Epicenter have done it again. They've discovered a really old avocado tree in the Watsonville area that turns out to be spectacular, not only taste wise, but also from the perspective of good looks, not to mention hardiness!

I've got one sitting on the kitchen counter, can't wait for mine to ripen. Here are some pictures. It's jet black, shiny and has a really attractive orange stem which contrasts in a very interesting way with the jet black skin. To me, this looks like the Rolls Royce of avocados. It's bigger than hass, and has no stringiness.

It's simply amazing how many good avocado seedlings there are. We need to be more pro-active in saving this rich genetic heritage.

Re: The Ibis avocado: Large, great tasting black skinned gem

Postby Jason (palo alto) » Wed May 11, 2011 1:01 pm

Jason (palo alto)
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Z17, 9b
Odd, they never mentioned this one at the tour they gave. It looks like a Mexican strain one, they said all of their avocados were Guatemalan strains.

Looks beautiful. Is it more Hass-like in taste or Mexicola-like?

Postby wednesdayfriday » Wed May 11, 2011 1:18 pm

wednesdayfriday

Climate Zone: 8b
Now that's a good looking avocado! I tried looking it up, with no luck. How hardy is it approx.?

Postby Kern » Wed May 11, 2011 2:38 pm

Kern

Climate Zone: USDA 9b
It is an odd time of year for a Mexican avocado to be ripe. They take less than a year from blossom to table. Maybe these fruits are just holding better than any other Mexican avocados. Perhaps it has some Guatemalan blood. Have you eaten any of these before? If not, I can't wait for you to try them. Save some budwood for me.
Kern

Postby nullzero » Wed May 11, 2011 2:54 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Looks like a very interesting variety, worthy of growing. If I was not restricted to container growing would love to try one.

Postby Axel » Wed May 11, 2011 6:32 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Freddy just discovered this seedling tree a couple of weeks ago, it's a very large, old tree, survived 19F in 1990, so it's definitely hardy. The tree was apparently loaded to the gill, and the rats were all over it, devouring the fruit, which is a good sign. Freddy went back to pick scion wood and gave me some. I ended up buying a $20 Hass at Home Depot today just to top work it over to this variety, that's how good this thing is. I figured it was worth the $20 sacrifice.

So it's a brand new discovery, nothing has ever been written up about it. But it fits the bill for what I've been looking for a long time now. I just wanted a large, Mexican type black skinned, non-stringy avocado the size of a Hass. This one fits all the criterions I was looking for, plus the beautiful orange-red stem.

Postby RobertS » Wed May 11, 2011 9:00 pm

RobertS
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 17
Nice looking avocado Axel, can't wait to hear what it taste like. Grow that scion well might just need to get some scion wood of that dude one day!!

Postby Axel » Wed May 11, 2011 10:11 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Here are the pictures of one of the grafts I just did. I hope it will take.

Here you can see the deep cleft graft I did. This was about the same size cleft as was on the original graft.

Here's the view from the other side.

The hardest part was to cut off the Hass entirely. I didn't want any Hass interstem in order to increase the hardiness. It wasn't all that hard, though, considering the sad shape this thing was in. Home Depot plants are just really low quality. i don't know what it is they do to the plants for them to end up looking so sad. I guess you get what you pay for. What's even more sad is that if you want an avocado at Home Depot, all you get is a Hass. If you want an Orange there, all you get is a Washington Navel. Every garden, same plants... Little boxes, on the hillside, made of ticki tacki... and the gardens too.

Here's another photo highlighting the red in the skin. The size of the avocado is about 1.5 times as big as a regular Hass. So this is a rather large avocado.

Postby RobertS » Thu May 12, 2011 8:36 am

RobertS
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 17
Excellent looking cleft graft Axel, hope it grows big and strong for you, great pic showing the redness of the avocado what a beauty :)

Postby DavidLJ48 » Thu May 12, 2011 1:01 pm

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
Maybe similar to what I call, Grande negra, that came from near here, which may be from Mexico, or not, but seems be to a seedling.Image

Then a more green skinned one, in the Fremont area, which locals brought me wood from. Both of these, very large, nearly a pound or more, very creamy flesh, very nice mild taste, no fibers/strings at all, but this one is a old variety, planted in the 60s. The first one takes normal valley lows, no damage at all in 2007. Not sure if this fruit should be dark, or it is just been too long on the tree over thew winter. Image

You are right Axel, there are some good seedlings out there, and some not so known old varieties. That was why Kern and went looking a few years ago. There was one that Kern brought wood back from, some place in the Bay Area, but lost it in the 2007 freeze, too small a plant, only under cover, that winter even lost small grafted Mexicola, under cover. Maybe Kern would remember where it was, the fruit was similar to a Sir Prize, Hass type like, from what I recall, but much larger and more pear shaped,but not as heavy skinned as a Hass type.

David
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Next

Return to Fruits, Rare Fruits, Orchards and Exotics

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:15 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login