• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing fruits and rare tropical and temperate fruits, and tending our orchards

Tips on pruning/training cherimoya trees?

Postby BayAreaTropical25 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:20 pm

BayAreaTropical25
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA zone 9b/10a Sunset 17
Hello all!

Just wanted to get an idea from some of the many Cherimoya experts who frequent cloudforest.

As some of you know, I purchased two really nice cherimoya trees last week, My issue thought is that the Fino de jete is especially tall.. Is there any harm in lowering it so as to get it to produce lower branches? When is a good time to lower the central leader? Or should I just let it grow straight up? I was thinking a vase shape would be good

Any information would be much appreciated.

Re: Tips on pruning/training cherimoya trees?

Postby RobertS » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:08 pm

RobertS
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 17
Tip #1 as growth progresses pinch back new growth that will help plant flower more.

Postby BayAreaTropical25 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:17 pm

BayAreaTropical25
Cloudforest Expert

Thanks robert :)

Postby RodneyS » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:44 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Prune the manure out of it. It'll bear more flowers and keep it at a manageable size.

Postby BayAreaTropical25 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:07 pm

BayAreaTropical25
Cloudforest Expert

LOL :D

Thanks for the tip, Rodney

I think I'll do it.. lol I'm short.. and don't like to fly in order to pick fruit.. I'm going to include a pic of the cherimoya trees (previously posted) so everyone can get an idea of the size.. the fino starts lateral branches at about 4 -5 feet... the Chaffey (on the left) is starting to bud pretty low which I like. the fino wants to go straight up..lol
Attachments
cherimoya.jpg
cherimoya.jpg (178.42 KiB) Viewed 1869 times

Postby Jack, Nipomo » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:56 am

Jack, Nipomo
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 17
Alex Silber posted a youtube video on cherimoya pruning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL3N5kf_Muc

Postby George » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:47 am

George
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: ssz 23
I do not prune my Cherimoya the way alex did in his video. My situation is much different but there are some principals to keep in mind.
1)Cherimoya will self pollinate if there is humidity inside the canopy and if there are plenty of flowers blooming at the same time.
2)Cherimoya will flower and set fruit even on mature wood.
3)The fruit will sunburn and crack.
4)If watered and planted well they will grow fast
5)Ants love to place scale and mealy bugs on these trees
6)Many of the branches like to weep

So, most people prune their Cherimoya to manage them from outside the canopy. This keeps the tree small and the mass of the canopy is not enough to hold humidity inside in June and July when the flowers are going full steam. You also end up with a short and tangles branches which take a bit of effort to keep the tree from turning into a big bramble.

The key is to manage the fruit production from under the canopy. This means a bit more patience in developing the structure of the tree but the payoff is exponential. Keep the lowest branches open so you can stand inside or eventually place a ladder insdie the tree. Allow the canopy to develop in a way which will shade the inside of the tree. As growth gets going in late april and June pinch the growing tips to redirect energy back toward the center fo the tree.
Keep several feet of the main stem clean so you can place and move ant barriers.
Keep plenty of mulch under the canopy and water the hell out of the tree when you see a bunches of small sick looking buds ( toward the end of June) then plan on spending some time a few days later to hand pollinate the plump flowers. Do this again a week later and again a week after that. You will get a few volunteer sets from this method as well. That should take care of your Cherimoya needs for the year.

Postby pat » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:32 pm

pat

Climate Zone: 9
I just repotted this M & N cherimoya tree to a 24-25 gallon container because every time I water the tree (15 gallon container), water would just drain out of the holes. Cherimoya tree are fast growing as I got this tree (in a 2 gallon plastic sleeve) from "Green Scene" at U.C Fullerton on April of 2011. In addition to repotting, I changed from fish/seabird guano to bat guano because I want the leaves to be ginormous like last year. As for pruning the tree, I rather have the tree grow a large canopy for winter protection. When the diameter of the trunk reach like 1 1/2 to 2 inches, then I think of shaping the tree.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/825/dsc01243q.jpg/

Postby BayAreaTropical25 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:26 pm

BayAreaTropical25
Cloudforest Expert

George,

Thank you very much for the informative and in depth guide on training cherimoya! I really appreciate it! All of the information you provided is very useful, I wasn't sure how the main structure should be formed, your comments have given me a good idea of how it should be done. These trees seem to be much more vigorous and large than the tree I have from exotica (although the tree from exotica has had a few flowers already). We will see at time passes, I am hoping to get the branches structured this season. :D I look forward to fresh cherimoya

Pat, thanks for sharing you experience as well..I may try bat guano eventually. I tried fish emulsion last summer on seedlings, that seems to actually shock or burn them for a while.. I'm finding I currently have excellent results with granular fertilizers, bat guano may work well too :D

Postby pat » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:51 pm

pat

Climate Zone: 9
HI BayAreaTropical25,

I am down here at Ocean Side, a city near San Diego. This area are cherimoya paradise. I did some snooping when I got here and found out nearly all the neighborhood have cherimoya tree (palm tree to0) in front or in the backyyard. The leaves are so big which make me wonder if they are on steroid. A peep into one of the neighbor backyard I saw a tree within ten feet from my eye got a huge yellow color cherimoya. So Amazing...

Next

Return to Fruits, Rare Fruits, Orchards and Exotics

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:07 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login