• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing fruits and rare tropical and temperate fruits, and tending our orchards

Wax Jambu

Postby fmeng » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:02 am

fmeng

Climate Zone: USDA zone 8b
Has anyone tried the black diamond wax jambu variety? I was planning to purchase either the black pearl variety or the black diamond variety. Which one is better?

The seller on Ebay seems to have a decent price so I plan to purchase there..

Re: Wax Jambu

Postby fmeng » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:47 pm

fmeng

Well I ended up picking the black diamond variety. Hopefully it's a good variety.

Postby nullzero » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:32 am

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Good luck, its tempting to get one too from ebay. Must resist :|

Postby fmeng » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:02 am

fmeng

I had a hard time resisting too. Being in Temecula, I it will be difficult for the wax jambu to survive. Well we will see, the last time I bought one, I wasn't successful at keeping it alive. This time I think I know what I need to do. :D :mrgreen:

Postby nullzero » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:11 am

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
I am growing Wax Jambu in Orange County sunset zone 22, its doing well. Not a named variety though unnamed red seedling.

Postby shawnb » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:57 pm

shawnb
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA 10b/11 Sunset 23/24
There really isn't much of a difference between the two. They are both deep red, generally seedless commercial variaties from Taiwan. Yeah Temecula is right on the edge of where they will thrive. Even here up in the valley the folks at Mimosa got damage on some during the lite freeze a few weeks back. They were in an exposed area but the ones under shadecloth came through just fine. Yeah ttoo-shotz has some nice stuff, I'm probably going to pick one up myself even though they are about 2, 3 years from real fruiting.

Postby dnt72800 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:43 pm

dnt72800

Climate Zone: 10
fmeng,
I was told they are the same....by one nursery. The one i tasted haa seeds, crisp and really no difference from the other. My white jambu produce both seeds/seedless fruits.
DT

Postby fmeng » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:01 am

fmeng

I got a small description of the difference from ttoo-shotz about the difference between black pearl and black diamond.

"Blk pearl is seedless, dark red-burgundy in color. Small fruit and extremely sweet and crispy. Very popular in Taiwan. Blk diamond is bigger fruit and pink-red in color. Sweet and sometimes has seed. Newly introduced from Taiwan"

I can always buy a black pearl if the black diamond isn't any good. Hopefully I will be able to successfully cultivate this plant. Even after searching google, i didn't find much info on the black diamond variety.

Postby Wonderful89 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:56 am

Wonderful89

Climate Zone: 9
I ordered a few things from the same ebay seller he is prompt with emails and shipping was quick. Although the seller is in So Cal and I am in the Bay Area so it only took two days for the tree to arrive. I did buy a wax jambu (Black Pearl) from the seller couple months ago. The tree arrived healthy and had a fairly good sized truck diameter ½ inch and sits about 12 inches tall. So far it is doing good.

Postby dnt72800 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:12 pm

dnt72800

Climate Zone: 10
Hi fmeng,
I stopped by my favorite nursery yesterday, mimosa LA and asked %$& about the black diamond vs. black pearl....He adviced me to stick with black pearl and said "black diamond fruit is bigger but not as flavorfull/sweet as the black pearl, black pearl is seedless". My mistake on the previous post, i was told by $%&** nursery in el monte.
Now i wonder if it's really the black pearl i tasted....... :D
Good news.......Mr. %$% at mimosa told me he will teach me how to graft. I'll be bringing in a bunch of stuff for him later to guide me through the process.
regards
DT

Return to Fruits, Rare Fruits, Orchards and Exotics

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:04 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login