• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing fruits and rare tropical and temperate fruits, and tending our orchards

weird orange bumps on avocado trunk. new growth or pest?

Postby midwest » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:35 pm

midwest

Climate Zone: 7b
Hey All,
Seems this week is just full of quirky things happening to my Hass.
Looks like some orange bumps near the graft. These bumps appear to be in the area where the trunk was sun burnt.. No idea what this is..

Found a pic of someone elses avocado with weird red budding, but in the nodes.

Re: weird orange bumps on avocado trunk. new growth or pest

Postby DavidLJ48 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:21 am

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
Midwest,

Your avocado fun and adventure never seems to end it seems. The red buds might be somewhat normal, under other then normal conditions, on some trees, growth can appear somewhat reddish or purplish, but I have never noticed buds that red before, but without enough light, they might. Green in plants leaves comes from Chlorophyll cells. Less light, less green, like what happens in deciduous trees, loosing day light hours going in to winter. Plants going into winter, Chlorophyll cells die off or declines, allowing the other base colors in the leaves to show up.

I often find that subtropical plants, evergreens and partial evergreens leaves, new growth is reddish, especially guavas around here. I have seen guava leaves turn a very complete purple red here by mid winter, if the leaves have not been burned off by unusually colder then normal winter lows.

The pic of the trunk, looks like some kind of sap flow, but normally it is not yellowish orange, usually shows up most noticeably as a white powder the sap dehydrates upon exposure to the air. It might be a product of the damage or from a disease or etc.

This might aid you some, if you have not seen it before:

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/C008/m008bpdisease.html

David
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Postby midwest » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:31 am

midwest

Hehe, yep always something going on.

As of today, the orange buds/nubs seem to be getting bigger on the trunk.
I am starting to lean toward it being the plant 'test firing' growth around the area where it was damaged.
I had another hass that was on its way to dying right out of the shipping box.
As i cut the dead away hoping to save it, I noticed new growth in the trunk area, same as this, except the nubs were green.

Anyway, the plant looks 100% healthy otherwise.
Thanks for link too.

Postby DavidLJ48 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:43 am

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Hopefully only increased sap flow, shoving out dead material, I have seen it happen, but not in Avocados.

David

Postby midwest » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:48 am

midwest

DavidLJ48 wrote:Hopefully only increased sap flow, shoving out dead material, I have seen it happen, but not in Avocados.

David

Well that would be good news and logical considering the area in which its happening. Also starting to notice buds building up and increasing in size on some of the branches. Lets hope this means the tree is back in business!

Postby Jack, Nipomo » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:03 pm

Jack, Nipomo
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 17
Looks to me like new little buds that can come out anywhere on an avocado. If they grow out, let them heal the possible damaged area whether above or below the graft. If below the graft, let them put out a few leaves, then pinch off any newer growth so that they aid the healing, but don't inhibit the growth above the graft. In a year or so, then cut them off so all growth goes into the grafted variety. If the buds grow above the graft, still let them aid the healing and grow, but your choice whether to cut them off in a year.

Postby midwest » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:17 pm

midwest

midwest wrote:
DavidLJ48 wrote:Hopefully only increased sap flow, shoving out dead material, I have seen it happen, but not in Avocados.
David

After some time, (and time this site has been down? Maybe trying to log on during maintenence)

Anyway, I think the orange bumps ended up being sap. I examined one, broke it apart and it was dry and powedery.

Jack,
Additionally, i did get a sucker growing up from the soil below the graft.

Looks like the tree might have righted itself and is now pushing buds out from the branch tips.. :D

Thanks for the inputs!

Postby DavidLJ48 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:28 am

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Good news then, great. Seems like at the time I said what I did, but was trying to remember why. Things are clearer now, remember that sap flow is clear, but can show up as white powder if enough flows. But I have seen green limbs die and after a while, it will turn a light orange brown color of sorts, I guess more like iron rust; have cracked off the bark to find it like that underneath.. It made sense to me, that if sap flow returned with enough force and quantity, it could shove some of the material out, as it began to cleanse and establish sap flow in that area.

David

midwest wrote:
midwest wrote:
David

After some time, (and time this site has been down? Maybe trying to log on during maintenence)

Anyway, I think the orange bumps ended up being sap. I examined one, broke it apart and it was dry and powedery.

Jack,
Additionally, i did get a sucker growing up from the soil below the graft.

Looks like the tree might have righted itself and is now pushing buds out from the branch tips.. :D

Thanks for the inputs!

Postby Jack, Nipomo » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:45 am

Jack, Nipomo
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 17
If you feel that the graft union is damaged and not providing the nourishment to the scion as it should, you can let the sucker grow and inarch it anywhere above the graft. So doing will add more rootstock to the avocado.

Postby midwest » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:47 pm

midwest

:(
Jack, Nipomo wrote:If you feel that the graft union is damaged and not providing the nourishment to the scion as it should, you can let the sucker grow and inarch it anywhere above the graft. So doing will add more rootstock to the avocado.

Had to look up 'inarch'. I'm guessing you mean I could make some cuts and let it fuse with the scion. Like a new supply line I take it?

Might try this in the spring. The scion looks to be pushing buds out the top and sides and branch extremities.

Thanks again.

Next

Return to Fruits, Rare Fruits, Orchards and Exotics

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:51 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login