• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing rare fruits, edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals.

Re: What happens if you graft a vigorous variety onto Suebel

Postby DavidLJ48 » Sun May 28, 2017 12:39 pm

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
I lost my lower grafts a couple summers ago, grafted a foot and a half above the crotch, they were not getting the sap flow I guess and the tree terminated them; knew I should of pruned the top limbed varieties more to encourage them; they were just slow growing hanging limbs.

I did add a couple Walton grafts to some new suckers on that side of the tree, figured maybe it might pull more sap that way, before the ailing Santa Cruz; in the least the limb would balance out the form and equal the weight load on the roots, to help keep the large Waltion side from tilting the tree eventually. But surprisingly they did not take, but a Golden Globe graft did and it is taking off like a monster. I got some Golden Globe wood again from a tree I sold to a local CRFG member. I figured that the Walton grafts would live and go nuclear but no.

The Santa Cruz is ok, as a fruit, but does not have the exotic deep Carmel flavor and dense custard texture as the Walton. I am hoping that the Golden Globe is much better then the Santa Cruz.
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Previous

Return to Rare Fruits, Edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:37 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login