• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing rare fruits, edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals.

What happens if you graft a vigorous variety onto Suebelle?

Postby jonathan415 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:44 pm

jonathan415

Climate Zone: 17
I am thinking about buying a 15 gallon Suebelle White Sapote.
They didn't have any other variety in a 15 gallon, and I'm impatient for fruit, so no other choice.

I heard Suebelle is a very slow growing tree.

I'm just curious what will happen if I decide, I want my tree to grow much faster.

Can I just graft a very vigorous variety onto the vertical shoot of the Suebelle and let it take over, to increase growth rate?

Or will the Suebelle affect the growth rate of anything I graft onto it.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Re: What happens if you graft a vigorous variety onto Suebel

Postby RobertS » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:48 am

RobertS
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 17
Jonathan, that's totally doable I have a few Suebelle's grafted with vigorous growers like Santa Cruz Cuccio and they grow same as other vigorous tree's. You just need to be careful if you use a side branch to prune to direct growth the way you want it to grow. ;)

Postby jonathan415 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:13 am

jonathan415

Climate Zone: 17
RobertS wrote:Jonathan, that's totally doable I have a few Suebelle's grafted with vigorous growers like Santa Cruz Cuccio and they grow same as other vigorous tree's. You just need to be careful if you use a side branch to prune to direct growth the way you want it to grow. ;)

Thanks Robert. That is good to know that it wouldn't slow the growth of any grafts.
I can just buy that Suebelle now without worry now, since I can just graft over any limb normally.

Postby DavidLJ48 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:42 pm

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
I grafted Santa Cruz, Walton on the upper of my seedling White sapote; Suebelle, and a few others below that.

Last summer, all of sudden, all lower grafts, years old, but smaller died, except for the Walton and Santa Cruz. Just figured, too low on the tree, and the tree deemed them unnecessary. But this spring when the tree put new leaves on, the Santa Crus side was hardly coming out, a lot of the wood died over the winter, when it was mild. The Walton is more aggressive and the most cold hardy variety I have grown here.

It does appear that the Walton is taking over, so cut it back some, getting to much larger anyway. So grafted on Golden Globe again, on a new vigorous sucker and encouraging the Walton to send a limb to that side of the tree, just in case, and to help keep the tree balanced.
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Postby zone 9 in Brazil » Mon May 22, 2017 6:00 pm

zone 9 in Brazil

Climate Zone: USDA zone 9B
I would think that the slow growth habit of the Suebelle would bottleneck the growth. The rootstock is likely to be more vigorous. Could you graft your choice of a more vigorous variety to a sucker from the rootstock or do a bark graft on the rootstock? Maybe do an experiment and graft onto a vertical shoot of the Suebelle and to the rootstock and see which wins. This would also depend on whether auxins play a strong role in apical dominance in white sapotes. You could lower this influence by girdling, or be more aggressive and even topwork the Suebelle graft if you really want the new graft to take over.

Postby RobertS » Fri May 26, 2017 8:06 am

RobertS
Cloudforest Expert

I have found with my multi-grafting white sapotes that you need to keep vigorous varieties in check by drop crotch pruning to have a successful tree. Don't be afraid to prune your tree's. ;) 8-)

Postby DavidLJ48 » Fri May 26, 2017 11:22 am

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

What is drop crotch pruning, I have never heard of that one.

RobertS wrote:I have found with my multi-grafting white sapotes that you need to keep vigorous varieties in check by drop crotch pruning to have a successful tree. Don't be afraid to prune your tree's. ;) 8-)

Postby RobertS » Sat May 27, 2017 7:51 am

RobertS
Cloudforest Expert

David, imagine your tree frame when you want to lower the frame you go down to a branch and cut above it!

Postby DavidLJ48 » Sat May 27, 2017 11:58 am

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

You mean actually pruning instead of a bush hair cut ? This spring started with top and side pruning on my Walton limb, may do a few lower limb cuts after the summer crop is done. My father did what you said, but even more so, to keep his almond trees in producing longer, by eliminating a limb here and there above the crotch every so many years; to keep newer nut wood grow, to keep his nut pounds per acre up.

RobertS wrote:David, imagine your tree frame when you want to lower the frame you go down to a branch and cut above it!

Postby RobertS » Sun May 28, 2017 8:45 am

RobertS
Cloudforest Expert

Yes, I mean just coming down tree trunk to lowest side branch or upright branch which ever you have to the height you want your tree and cutting off right at crotch of branch (above branch). Then you have to stay on tree and maybe tip growth back on other branches to balance tree out. :o ;)

As far site working right seems to be just seems to be dying slow death :roll: :o :cry:

Next

Return to Rare Fruits, Edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:10 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login