• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing rare fruits, edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals.

What happens if you graft a vigorous variety onto Suebelle?

Postby jonathan415 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:44 pm

jonathan415

Climate Zone: 17
I am thinking about buying a 15 gallon Suebelle White Sapote.
They didn't have any other variety in a 15 gallon, and I'm impatient for fruit, so no other choice.

I heard Suebelle is a very slow growing tree.

I'm just curious what will happen if I decide, I want my tree to grow much faster.

Can I just graft a very vigorous variety onto the vertical shoot of the Suebelle and let it take over, to increase growth rate?

Or will the Suebelle affect the growth rate of anything I graft onto it.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Re: What happens if you graft a vigorous variety onto Suebel

Postby RobertS » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:48 am

RobertS
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 17
Jonathan, that's totally doable I have a few Suebelle's grafted with vigorous growers like Santa Cruz Cuccio and they grow same as other vigorous tree's. You just need to be careful if you use a side branch to prune to direct growth the way you want it to grow. ;)

Re: What happens if you graft a vigorous variety onto Suebel

Postby jonathan415 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:13 am

jonathan415

Climate Zone: 17
RobertS wrote:Jonathan, that's totally doable I have a few Suebelle's grafted with vigorous growers like Santa Cruz Cuccio and they grow same as other vigorous tree's. You just need to be careful if you use a side branch to prune to direct growth the way you want it to grow. ;)

Thanks Robert. That is good to know that it wouldn't slow the growth of any grafts.
I can just buy that Suebelle now without worry now, since I can just graft over any limb normally.

Return to Rare Fruits, Edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:16 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login