• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing fruits and rare tropical and temperate fruits, and tending our orchards

What is the most unusual fruit you grow

Postby Axel » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:34 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: sunset 15/USDA 9b
What is the most unusual fruit you grow in your garden? By unusual, I mean things people have never heard of before.

For me, it would have to be lucuma, chamburros, burdekin plums and davidson plums. They are all very unusual, and when I tell people about them, they draw blank stares.

Burdekin Plum

Davidson Plum

They are all very strange and odd looking fruit.

Re: What is the most unusual fruit you grow

Postby Jason (palo alto) » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:13 pm

Jason (palo alto)
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Z17, 9b
Lets see I'd like to grow all of yours Axel, and I totally know what they all are.
My really unheard-ofs:
Cinnamon Apple (Pouteria hypoglauca)
Dwarf Grumichama (Eugenia itaguahiensis)
Maihuenia poeppigii
White Wax Jambu (Syzygium samarangense)
Acerola (Malphigia Emarginata)

All of those are in the greenhouse for now, I'm going to see if they survive this year outdoors, ideally I would like to keep only small tender plants in the greenhouse before they are big enough to survive in the real world.
I've just bought 4 Acerola plants, I had one a year ago that died but I really want to grow this one. I remember eating Acerola based Vitamin C tablets as a kid and always wondered what the fruit were like.

P.S. Axel if you get any fruit from those I'd love to try them and remember to save me some seeds :mrgreen:

Postby Jason_AU » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:39 pm

Jason_AU
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 9
Harpephyllum caffrum I think, not because it's super rare or anything but because it's the most frost sensitive plant I have. The tips of it are damaged pretty bad every Winter but it grows really fast. I wont get fruit because I only have one of them, but it's a nice tree :).

Since it grows so well here for me I'd like to collect some other plants from it's range in Africa

Postby George » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:05 pm

George
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: ssz 23
Though I have not yet gotten a fruit I guess the oddest would be Green Sapote.
The Dragon Tree is fairly well known here in San Diego but few know the fruit is edible (Tasty too! Very Much like a tomato).

Postby marklee » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:46 pm

marklee

Climate Zone: 10
My most unusual fruit, and the one most people ask, "what type of tree is that?" is garcinia livingstonei from Africa called "Imbe", not as fragile as other garcinias (mangosteen). I have a couple that have done great outside for over 5 years.

George, are you talking about the dracenea drago? I didn't know the fruit was edible.

Mark in Chula Vista
Mark Lee

Chula Vista, CA

Postby nullzero » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:27 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
The most unusual fruits which I grow would probably be the following;

Peruvian Cactus Apple (Cereus repandus)
Red Wax Jambu (Syzygium samarangense)

Something on my wanted list would be the wood apple (no idea how well it would do here). I found a source for the seeds on ebay.

Dracaena drago

Postby George » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:45 pm

George
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: ssz 23
Yes Mark, I have only eaten a couple off the trees north of the rose garden in Balboa park but they taste like tomatoes. Mine set fruit last summer and have been holding unripe for months. I am waiting patiently for them to turn red. The literature says they only fruit about every fifteen years and the fruiting cycle encourages them to branch. I do not believe the 15 year cycle. This tree was in a pot for about eight years and has been in the ground for about 2.

Postby John S » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:50 pm

John S
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA8
We can't grow that much unusual stuff up here. Himalayan Honeysuckle, Haskap, arctic kiwis, buddhist pine, lingonberries, bulgarian currants, thimbleberries and salmonberries (native), shipova. That's probably most of the relatively unusual stuff.
John S
PDX OR

Postby Jack, Nipomo » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:34 am

Jack, Nipomo
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 17
A couple of plants grown from seeds collected in Baja California: Guamuchil, which goes by several other names and has very sweet "fruit" surrounding the seeds in the seed pod. Google has some nice photos. I lost a larger tree years ago and am starting another. Reasonable hardy, drought resistant (very), we'll start again. A mature tree is growing out near Lompoc, so maybe just more maturity enhances hardiness.

The other unusual fruit is a Randia megacarpa that has a black fruit like a fig, very sweet. This is different from the Randia formosa (blackberry jam fruit) that is tender. But the fig sized fruit is black inside and tastes like...blackberry jam!! The Randia megacarpa fruit is larger, and the plant is very hardy to freezes. It is a tree in S. Baja mountains, here it is a shrub due to my neglect and nearby competition. Moved last year to a desirable location, someday I'll post photos of the fruit.

Postby TomA » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:49 pm

TomA

Climate Zone: Sunset 16/17
probably the most unusual thing I'm currently growing is a Campomanesia species that was found in the wild for the first time maybe 10 or so years ago. It's related to C.xanthocarpa, and fruits yearly and has never been bothered by cold in my mild location. Survives on neglect. One of many species of Myrtaceae from souther Brazil/northern Paraguay that are typically called 'guabiroba'. You can definitely tell the family from the flavor. It's got some of those sort of 'resinous' flavors that so many related species have. Enjoyable, pleasant fruit, but kind of small sized (like a blueberry) for a major food crop. Fun to see/hear of others unusual things.
Sunset Zone 16/17. Northern California

Next

Return to Fruits, Rare Fruits, Orchards and Exotics

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:41 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login