• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum for growing rare fruits, edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals.

when to pick pears....

Postby Steve in Los Osos » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:26 pm

Steve in Los Osos
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 17, USDA 10a
I'm surprised to have to ask this question because I never thought I'd have fruit for years, but I do. I have two B.P. Morettini pears:

one small Buerre Superfin and a small Bartlett from a graft on the Morettini tree.

I do know from reading that you don't wait until the pears are really ripe. But then what am I looking for? With my apples I gently cup them in my hand and lift a little to see if them come off. Will that work with these pears? Are they all treated the same?

Re: when to pick pears....

Postby RobertS » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:14 pm

RobertS
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 17
Steve the morettini should be getting close to ripe check color if there is a blush and it's good size you should cut and let set until ripe on counter! Beurre superfin has not fruited for me so can't but it too is mid season ripening so? First year i had fruit of Morettini I picked over ripe when it softened was rotten in middle so you will have to try one after it's colored up is best way and sometime sad learning experience! :( ;) Just looked in Pear book and says, late July to early August for Bartlett good luck my friend ;)

Postby brettay » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:30 pm

brettay
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 16
I've always found that if you turn the fruit 90 degrees and the connection with the tree breaks easily then it is ready. Also remember that most pears benefit from at least a month in cold storage. Then you can finish their ripening with a week or so at room temperature. Enjoy!

Postby Steve in Los Osos » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:38 pm

Steve in Los Osos
Cloudforest Expert

I did actually try the bending 90 degrees trick on one of the Morettini pears a few days after the post. It came away and I put it in the refrigerator for a few days (treating it like a Bartlett). It's now on the counter but I think it's too green now that it's inside :( It looked OK outside and has a nice blush on on the sun side, but I wouldn't buy a pear that green at the market....

A few days later the other one was on the ground one morning! Maybe I messed up since they were in a cluster. So into the refrigerator the second one went for a few days. Now on the counter, its color is much better than the first. I'd buy it if I saw it in the market.

So now I wait.........

Postby John S » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:00 pm

John S
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA8
The 90 degrees picking is a good way. Also feel the top neck for some give. If it's still rock hard, it's not ready. Most should start to develop some give when ready. Also, put them in a paper bag on the counter with a banana. Works great.
John S
PDX OR

Postby Steve in Los Osos » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:09 pm

Steve in Los Osos
Cloudforest Expert

Unfortunately all three of the pears I picked were either too soon or mishandled in some other way. The fourth one (the Beurre Superfin) was apparently carried away whole by a critter one night as it neared ripeness. Never found a sign of it. Cleanly picked, too...

Oh well, maybe this year.

Return to Rare Fruits, Edibles and Permaculture with a focus on tropicals

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:29 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login