• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Discuss growing palms and tropicals in the Pacific Northwest.

Giant Lily

Postby Palmlover » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:57 pm

Palmlover
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: zone 8, sunset 5
Updated photo of the lily going to be a monster!

Re: Giant Lily

Postby georgeinbandonoregon » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:30 pm

georgeinbandonoregon
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA zone 9a/Sunset zone 5
guessing that the "giant lily" is a cardiocrinum???

Postby Palmlover » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:42 am

Palmlover
Cloudforest Expert

georgeinbandonoregon wrote:guessing that the "giant lily" is a cardiocrinum???

Yes you are correct….cardiocrinum giganteum.

Postby georgeinbandonoregon » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:56 am

georgeinbandonoregon
Cloudforest Expert

thanks. without the flower stalk (and flowers) it was an ambiguous but interesting clump of foliage (and the "lily" moniker has been used for unrelated plants like some of the arums) so had to guess and ask for your help.

Postby Van-Isle-Bamboo » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:18 pm

Van-Isle-Bamboo
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 8
Hey I just picked up a small one from Brentwood. One leaf and big hopes :). I was told that they prefer full shade. Is that true? Any tips? Now for the 5 year time lapse to flower.

Postby georgeinbandonoregon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:13 pm

georgeinbandonoregon
Cloudforest Expert

doubt that full shade is that good for growth and flowering--it can take woodland type conditions with a morning sun afternoon shade in interior areas and would probably tolerate full sun in maritime dominated zones as long as it got summer water during dry periods (good drainage and a fairly rich loam and organic soil would be optimum) IMHO...

Postby Van-Isle-Bamboo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:16 am

Van-Isle-Bamboo
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 8
Thanks a lot! How old is yours? It's amazing how much energy is stored up in a bulb!

Postby georgeinbandonoregon » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:41 am

georgeinbandonoregon
Cloudforest Expert

don't have one. my response is based on observations of plants growing in other gardens along the oregon coast and rreading the available liturature and online catalogs. FWIW, http://www.farreachesfarm in washington offers several selections and one additional species and their advice is part shade/light shade/shade but what their definition of "shade" is unclear to me. FWIW my definition of shade is a north exposure with no direct sun at all, others may have a less extreme criteria light intensity and heat build up close to the coast (AKA "the fog zone") even in a sunny site is often significantly less than areas a few miles inland out "direct" coastal influence. again, FWIW some other advice from far reaches farm is to plant shallow with the "nose" of the bulb slightly above ground (mulched over in the winter). and generours feeding as they call the plant a "piggy" in that respect, LOL. hope this is of some interest.

Postby Palmlover » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:47 am

Palmlover
Cloudforest Expert

Van-Isle-Bamboo wrote:Hey I just picked up a small one from Brentwood. One leaf and big hopes :). I was told that they prefer full shade. Is that true? Any tips? Now for the 5 year time lapse to flower.

You wouldn’t want to plant the whole plant in full sun!
It can take a lot of sun as long as the base of the plant is mostly shade. The two that are going to bloom this year have their first 3’-4’ in mostly shade but the top will be in full sun. I think for me it will be ok. It will be interesting to see if they bloom earlier than July.

Giant lilies are one of the easiest plant to grow in the world, I give mine bulb food in spring and fall and in summer all purpose fertilizer. They look just like some type of elephant ears but need much less heat to grow. The only pest I have seen are cabbage month caterpillars.

Postby Palmlover » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:03 pm

Palmlover
Cloudforest Expert

Updated photo late this evening.

The other giant lily.

Next

Return to Pacific Northwest

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:17 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login