• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Re: Aloha from Hawai'i!

Postby devisgro » Thu May 14, 2015 6:35 am

devisgro

Climate Zone: USDA zone 4
They should have a good flavor. If you are out of doors in a warm place you may have pollination by fig wasps, this will make them sweeter, juicier and slightly larger. However, French varieties are supposed to be good even in Pots. to be honest I have never had a watery fig, pot growing is a bit like bonsai. Restricted roots. The tree grows 5-6 feet tall instead of 20.

Postby devisgro » Thu May 14, 2015 6:38 am

devisgro

They should be good, I have heard that watery figs is dependent on the varieties. Growing indoors does not affect taste, although if pollinated in a warm place like California where fig wasp pollinators live the fig will be larger sweeter and juicier. But this will only enhance the flavor. Many people eat and grow figs in cold climates.

Postby devisgro » Thu May 14, 2015 12:37 pm

devisgro

I'm not certain why it didn't post my first two replies! I believe watery taste is a result of the variety of fig. As for growing inside of pots this does not affect the fruit of the tree, it merely prevents the tree from getting larger than six feet in most cases. As compared with 20+ feet that some varieties climb to. I began collecting French varieties because: my fiancee is French; they're generally sought after; their fruits are rumored to be delicious and the colors shapes and sizes are each unique. Some of my trees will hopefully bear fruit this season, but all will next season. I am very excited as you can imagine!
-Dev

Postby Laura » Thu May 14, 2015 12:45 pm

Laura

Climate Zone: 11
Sounds wonderful. I always thought that watery flavorless figs were the result of excess rain. I will be delighted to have whatever you recommend.
I have been in what was then Yugoslavia ans seen fig trees actually laid down on the ground for winter rest.....do you force winter rest on yours here by picking off leaves?

Postby devisgro » Thu May 14, 2015 1:03 pm

devisgro

No, I am a couple grow zones too cold for that! I leave mine out doors in the warm months, starting in a few weeks for me, and then use grow lights in the winter months. I have naturalized them so they grow actively so long as the temperature is above 65℉, but they still cannot take a freeze. I am working on plans for a sustainable winter greenhouse. Others do it for veggies, why not trees? Hmm for the rain part that may be the case, I know too much rain makes the interior split so there is an airpocket inside you can see when you eat them. At least with potted figs I can water as I see they need it, rather than as nature sporadically decides. even without the winter cold and e get an excessive amount of precipitation here. My great grandparents in zone 5/6 used to dig trenches and bend their Italian fig trees down into them during winter. Covering with manure for heat and straw then dirt. A lot of work to fig out 20 trees every spring though. shame I never met them, would have been something to see. I have heard from other growers that fruit production increases if plants do not lose leaves and are wintered over nicely. A commonly sought after French variety is called Ronde De Bordeaux sometimes spelled rhonde. I have a second that I rooted from a cutting this year that may be strong enough by the end of the season.
-Dev

Postby Laura » Fri May 15, 2015 10:40 am

Laura

Climate Zone: 11
Intersting information. I have an idea for a greenhouse.......a pit greenhouse. SOmetimes they call it an underground greenhouse. You can see it on Permaculture.com. You dig a pit about 4 feet deep, shore it up with concrete blocks, and then put a glass greenhouse cover on it. The ambient heat from the soil will often keep it above freezing with no extra heat cost. You can also cover it on cold nights with an insulating blanket.

Postby devisgro » Fri May 15, 2015 11:00 am

devisgro

That's actually what I am working on now! I am planning to pour the concrete foundation and put insulation on inside and outside of it but yes, I have been reading about pit greenhouses! I have been told that my trees don't need to be in the house anymore..

Postby devisgro » Fri May 15, 2015 12:06 pm

devisgro

I will have to start the peak of my roof minimum of 4 feet above the ground to account for the very heavy snowfall I get in wintertime though, otherwise I could no clear the pit greenhouse roof..

Previous

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:54 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login