• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Aloha from Hawai'i!

Postby David_bengharib » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:08 am

David_bengharib

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 12b, Sunset H2
Aloha everyone,
I'm from Hawaii currently living on the island of O'ahu and have been really interested in herbs, spices, and fruiting plants for most of my life. Whereas many of you are experimenting and going to great lengths to grow tropical fruit and ornamental plants in colder climates (looks like many of you are having amazing results, congrats!), I'm trying to do the opposite by growing temperate fruits in a place that receives absolutely no chill hours. So far I've had some great successes as well as some not so great results and am doing some hybridization work with the goal of attaining varieties better adapted the the climate here. I would be interested in hearing other people's experiences of growing temperate fruiting plants in areas with little or no chill hours and experiences in plant breeding as well.

I've had to move multiple times over the past several years so I could only bring with me what I could grow in pots (and only those which survived whenever I would go abroad). The large garden I started as a little kid that had many of my prized fruits was unfortunately bulldozed by the new owners of my childhood home about 2 years ago so I tried growing a number of different fruit trees inside of an apartment (decent results except for the whiteflies, lack of pollinators and the constant need to be watered...wouldn't recommend it if you have limited time on your hands) and as of 5 months ago moved into a place with land. Here I've been trying to replace many of the plants I used to have as well as trying new varieties since I now live in a very different part of this island which brings with it new challenges.

At the current time the fruiting plants in my garden include 16 varieties of citrus, over 60 varieties of tomato and other edible-fruited solanum, physalis, apples, pears, nectarine, plum, peach, melons, papayas, mangoes, raspberries, blackberries, Kiwis, guavas, figs, olives, and more along with over 100 species and varieties of herbs and spices including star anise, cardamom, galangal, vanilla, tsai tou vounou, saffron crocuses, zuta levana and za3tar. I'm really interested in find out more about and procuring varieties of figs, grapes, pomegranates and olives from the Mediterranean and Middle East; the same for East Asian, Mediterranean and Australian citrus; and also continuing on this experiment of finding which temperate fruit (especially apples, peaches and brambles) varieties work and don't work in this tropical environment.

After following Cloudforest since I was in Middle School, I have FINALLY joined it and I'm really looking forward to meeting the people here and sharing our experiences and knowledge.

-David

"Dorsett Gold" apple

Re: Aloha from Hawai'i!

Postby So_Cal_Mike » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:56 am

So_Cal_Mike
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21 - USDA Zone 10a
Welcome aboard The Cloudforrest!
It is always astounding to me when I hear that someone buys a house with an orchard, only to bulldoze it to install a lawn, or some such thing.
Sunset Zone: 21 • USDA Zone: 10a • AHS Heat Zone: 6-7

Postby MrClint » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:24 pm

MrClint

Climate Zone: USDA 10
I'm a long time lurker and new member that would like to welcome you as well. :)

I go to Hawaii almost every year and visit all the roadside fruit stands that I can when I'm over there. A super crisp and juicy locally grown apple would absolutely blow folks away. There has to be a huge market for them.

Be that as it may, now that all the commercial papayas from the islands are GMO, they've lost some of their luster for me. I had no idea that this was the case until I took a farm tour on Oahu North shore. Still a fruit paradise over there - lots of dead ripe pineapple, etc, to be had.

Postby Oolie » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:19 am

Oolie
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: sunset 23
Jealous of the climate.

I appreciate what you're doing, but there's some amazing pineapples over there you could be growing.

I had one on maui once that was incredible.

It's cool that you're growing tomatoes there, when a friend of mine went to the big island and saw the prices of tomatoes at a farmer's market, he referred to them as "medicinal tomatoes".

Bulldozing is always a tragedy, but you can start something new!

Postby HillsideFarmHawaii » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:35 pm

HillsideFarmHawaii

Climate Zone: USDA zone 11
Aloha David,

Which part of the island are you at now and what's your elevation? We are on the Hamakua Coast (Big Island) and at 1,000 feet so it is probably a bit cooler here than what you may have.

Pettingill and Anna apples do pretty well. You could also try Florida Prince peach tree. If you don't get enough winter chill, it won't set a full amount of fruit, but you should get something. You can look at the different low chill varieties available at http://www.baylaurelnursery.com/ in California. They ship to Hawaii, too! (Yay!)

You gotta watch out for those folks with bulldozers. One got loose in our old neighborhood and took down the most amazing garden. I did save a few plants out of there, one of which is called (as far as I've been able to find out) "Filipino Wine Grape". If you get to the Big Island drop by for a cutting. It's a big purple Concord type. Makes great jelly, not so sure about the wine since I haven't tried that yet. Grapes should be low chill, though, and Bay Laurel has lots to choose from.

A hui hou,
Catz

Postby Laura » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:15 pm

Laura

Climate Zone: 11
Would be very grateful to make your acquaintance and discuss low chill fruits. Just bought a 0.8 acre lot just north of mt view [not in the VERY rainy Glendale area though] at 1700 feet. So I presume anything you can grow I can also. An we meet sometime?
Laura 805-545-0642

Postby Axel » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:07 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Hi Laura. 1,700 feet isn't that high of an elevation, at that elevation, anything below 10C/50F is still rare. you will definitely want to look towards successes in Southern California with low chill cultivars near the coast for ideas what to grow.

The rain is a major problem up where you are. I've seen temperate fruit growing up in Volcano just above you, and lemme tell ya, not lookin' so good, da rain!!! No good for temperate fruit. Very tough proposition, better on Kona side where cold winds coming down the Mountain at night provide some chill, and where drier conditions make for disease free conditions.

For apples, you will need to find scab resistant varieties that set fruit in the rain. Peaches are probably a no-no due to peach curl.

Best bet are fruit that are adapted to rain: lots of berries will do good. But better yet, stick with tropical fruit, much better where you are.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby Laura » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:26 pm

Laura

Thanks so much for the advice. much appreciated.
Laura

Postby devisgro » Wed May 13, 2015 6:21 pm

devisgro

Climate Zone: USDA zone 4
I happen to grow figs myself! I buy most of my cuttings from eBay, a few from exchange with other growers international. If you are interested I may be able to offer you some varieties of cuttings next year, but I have a few pitted trees that should be ready to ship in late summer.
-Dev

Postby Laura » Wed May 13, 2015 9:23 pm

Laura

I ADORE figs, but will the flavor be good? Or watery ?

Next

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:51 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login