• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Aloha

Postby JoeyVee » Fri May 18, 2012 11:14 am

JoeyVee

Climate Zone: 12a-12b
Hey everyone.. Im Joe. I stumbled on this forum while looking for an ID on my PAssiflora plant. I have since figured out that it's P. Laurifolia.. Sweet Jamaican Lilikoi.. :) Like most new Passiflora gardeners I have a ton of flowers but no fruit. Im going to up the watering and add some more Potassium rich fertilizer..

I was thinking I could just grate up some coconut meat and throw it right in the soil along with some vermicast to buffer.. I have TONS of coconut meat, and water as well.. I may sprout a few coconuts too while I'm at it..

Anyway, nice to be here. Thanks for having me. If anyone is on the island and wants to swap pollen or cuttings lemme know!

Re: Aloha

Postby Jason (palo alto) » Fri May 18, 2012 11:21 am

Jason (palo alto)
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Z17, 9b
Welcome! Where do you live? Based on the coconut availability and being zone 12a-12b I'm going to guess somewhere tropical :)
Or upon your aloha and reference to the island are you in Hawaii?
If you aren't getting fruit it could be a pollination issue. Many passiflora aren't self fertile. That of course means you have an excuse to grow a few other varieties in addition to ensure cross-poliantion. ;)

Postby JoeyVee » Fri May 18, 2012 12:35 pm

JoeyVee

Climate Zone: 12a-12b
Yessir. I live in Honolulu. My Lanai faces south so I'm good to go.. As far as space.. thats a different story. Hahaha. BUT the planter box feeds straight into the underground soil so the roots have all the vertical space they want. They share the box with a few tiare trees as well.. The current plant has been flowering like crazy. I just dumped some vermicast on top of it today as well so it should boost again. Im going to try to add some organic K fertilizer too. I mixed some cocont meat in with the soil as well. Cant hurt and I have so much I might as well. My worms love it too. I just wish I could buy a flowering vine from someone so I could start crossing immediately, but gardening is not a hobby of immediate gratification..

I wonder what I should cross it with... Purple, the tough yellow ones,.. another soft skin orange? ... hmmm..

I just realized we've had bad luck with tomoatoes as well. Maybe my vermicast lacks potassium... Doubtful, because I throw tons of banana peels in there, but you never know..

Postby RodneyS » Sun May 27, 2012 3:02 am

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Aloha, Joey.

Nice to hear you worm compost like me!

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:36 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login