• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Another newbie from Costa Rica

Postby biesanz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:27 am

biesanz

Climate Zone: 11+ sort off,cooler
Hello all,

I live at 4500' in the Central Vally of Costa Rica, with a coastal farm and forest on the Central Pacific. I'm a woodworker and turner.

My wife and I have been restoring wildlife habitat and re-introducng missing tree species for over 20 years. Been growing and beginning to work several types of clumping bamboos, and recently found an interest in the palms.

We plant a lot of fruit trees for wildlife and us, from peaches to jackfruit, durian, champedak, zapotes, etc. Raise chickens, some cows, vegetables.

We have a pond and botanical garden at my shop, and give free tours to visitors.
see the FB page for Biesanz Woodworks.

All the best,

Barry

Re: Another newbie from Costa Rica

Postby Axel » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:10 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Welcome to the Cloudforest. I am curious, what sort of palms do you grow?
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby biesanz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:05 am

biesanz

On the finca we have lots of Roostertail, or American Oil Palms, some Corozos, and Viscoyols, the skinny spiny clumping jobs with tasty fruit, all naturally occurring,

I have 3 Tagua I planted, finally with one in seed, afew Cuban Royals, lots of Peachpalms we planted, monkeys get all the fruit.

We also have some with black spines, I forget what that is called. Then I was given a bunch of varied palms, and lost a lot of labels, but do recall we have some Arecas and Caryotas, Chameadoras and Acachus - bet that's not the spelling..

Got a few with green trunks and white bands like a Guadua bamboo, very pretty, but the guy who gave them to me forgot what they are, but they are very pretty.
I have a few Irateria d and Socatea d.s in bags, hope to find more. both are stilt palms that were much used by the indigenas, thick hard wood, black and dense.

Postby Axel » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:47 am

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Could you post some pictures? I've never heard of some of these.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby biesanz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:29 am

biesanz

ok, but it may be sometime before I get them into iphotos, remember how to make folders, and learn how to post here!

how would I post and where would it show up? I do have some in my camera...

Postby rhapsody616 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:49 pm

rhapsody616

Climate Zone: USDA zone 10A
Your work in Costa Rica seem much needed. Good for you and your wife for taking on a wonderful effort!

Postby biesanz » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:37 am

biesanz

Thanks! Google the Ara Project if you want a look at something effective and inspiring.

Postby RodneyS » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:31 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Greetings, Barry!

Do you have an aquaponics system set up?

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:10 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login