• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Black Boy Peaches

Postby mcq » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:35 am

mcq

Climate Zone: 2 & 3
Hello I am new to Cloudforest and I am hoping for some help locating some Black Boy peaches to grow in St Helena California. Does anyone have any pits or seedlings that I could purchase. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Black Boy Peaches

Postby Axel » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:26 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
I've never heard of black boy. You should try the scion exchanges this Winter. but I've never seen this variety. Seedlings don't come true, you will have to graft.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby mcq » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:26 pm

mcq

From what I've read Black Boy peaches are mostly found in New Zealand but are originally came from the Loire Valley in France where they are known as Pêche de Vigne. They grow true from seed and are resistant to peach leaf curl. I had some of the peaches in France and they were delicious.

Postby Ashok » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:06 pm

Ashok
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA Zone 9b
At least one person in the CRFG Golden Gate chapter grows the "Black Boy" peach. I would suggest that you write to the chapter directly -- it might be possible to arrange for some scionwood to be made available at the January scion exchange.

Note: one person has told me that this variety is indistinguishable from "Indian Blood Cling", a peach that should be obtainable fairly easily via mail-order during the winter.

Postby mcq » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:59 pm

mcq

Thank you for your help and advice. I will look into finding one at the CRFG Golden Gate scion exchange.

I have been wondering if the "Indian Blood Cling" was the same as the "Black Boy" peach. Some of the images of the "Indian Blood Cling" did not seem as dark as the "Black Boy" peach so I was not sure.

Postby SeattleMark » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:32 pm

SeattleMark

Climate Zone: USDA 8a
Has anyone saved any pits of Indian Blood Cling peach that they could share? It also goes by these names:
Indian Free Peach
Indian Freestone Peach
Indian Blood Free Peach
Indian Cling Peach
Black Boy Peach
Pêche de Vigne

Thanks,
Mark in Seattle

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:10 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login