• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Welcome DavidLJ48 from Waterford

Postby DavidLJ48 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:06 pm

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
I am retired, but have limitations, thanks to life and Uncle Sam, my plants often grow and move faster then I do. I live in Waterford CA, about 15 miles east of Modesto. I am also the Chairman of the San Joaquin Valley Chapter of the CRFG. I am it, not one else really wants the job, so I stay with it and try to watch over the flock here.

My yard is a mix, stone fruits, hardy tropicals, palms and vines and a little cactus. All of my trees eventually end up multi grafted, only 3 to 5 though, not like my Kern who has a bakers dozen on his.

Jeff Earl was my mentor, so believe a tropical looking forest like yard, plants are much happier in such a system. Everything I learned from him, has proved right and i have expanded in it my own way and fashion.

All of my yard is plants, and research nursery, no lawn, only leaves and mulch. Lawns are such a waste of resources and water, here in the San Joaquin/Central Valley. My yard is research plants in pots or in the ground if they are survivors.

Everything here has to survive my usual winter lows of of 28F or lower, with little or no protection, except maybe something overhead. Including my guava and other hardy tropicals. That is one reason I do the research, and only plant the survivors from my seed lots and plants I guy.

I have avocados, hardy and tropical guavas, peaches, nectarines, pomegranates, pistachios, passionflower fruiting vines, bananas, a little bamboo, palms/some fruit and nut producing. New projects are Arhat and Chilean wine berry, Vietnamese Gac, and Arhat and etc.

I have my first seedling sweet lime/lemon with a few fruits, waiting now for them to fully ripen, don't want to pick them too soon, only have 3. This was the only seedling that was genetically dwarf and had leaves more like lemon or lime, and not like a sweet lime/lemon with its larger more yellowish leaves and longer thorns.

Some like to fish, and go exploring, for me, that desire is taken up in plant research and enjoying the fruits of my labors.
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:31 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login