• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Hi Everybody

Postby Tovis » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:04 pm

Tovis

Climate Zone: 5b
I love tropicals, its so cool to have crazy exotic plants growing in my living room. Now I have an indoor greenhouse. I am currently growing Theobroma Cacao, Cinnamon, and Plumeria. I have a lemon plant on the way.

Anybody have advise for any of those plants?

I know most of them require loads of humidity, and sun is not so good for chocolate.

Re: Hi Everybody

Postby Axel » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:13 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Both the cinnamon plant and the lemon don't need high humidity, the plumeria can also tolerate some dry conditions, and all will do fine in full sun. Since you're growing all of this indoors, you shouldn't need to worry about any sun on the cacao plant, even if it comes through the window.

Can you give us a little more description on your "indoor greenhouse" setup?

My advice for the cacao plant is to provide bottom heat. You can buy horticultural heating pads, but be careful not to let the soil dry out.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby RodneyS » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:50 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Welcome Tovis!

Plumerias do fine in full sun. I have 2 small plumerias with white/yellow flowers & 1 cutting of unknown color.

Postby Tovis » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:49 pm

Tovis

I have a 5 x 5 x 5 ft box made with pvc, its covered in clear plastic, it seems to be doing well trapping heat and humidity. I have it facing a padio window that gets a lot of light.

In Michigan, we usually have the heat cranked in the winter which makes it extremely dry inside and we have the air on in the summer which also seems to make it dry. Would plumeria, lemon, and cinnamon have a max humidity where I could keep all the plants happy in my indoor greenhouse.

Postby Axel » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:11 am

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
You can keep whatever humidity works for the cacao, the other plants will be fine. Your lemon will not color up in the warm indoor conditions, but it will still taste good.

A 5x5x5 space will eventually be too small for all of your plants, so I would recommend you only grow the cacao inside the greenhouse enclosure. The rest of the plants will grow just fine in your ambient indoor conditions, especially the citrus. But I also know people grow cinnamon outdoors here in California, as well as plumeria, so they both are fine in dry conditions.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby Tovis » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:35 am

Tovis

I think I'll put the lemon, plumeria, and cinnamon on my patio when it gets warm enough and bring them back in when it gets chilly outside. Its still not quite warm enough for that yet though.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:35 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login