• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Welcome florallie from Santa Cruz!

Postby florallie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:00 am

florallie

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 17
Hi there!
My name is Allie and I live in beautiful Santa Cruz, CA. I'm brand new to the forum, but I've been appreciating the unusual knowledge and experience amongst this group for a while now. You've inspired me to dive head first into the world of edible exotics. So first, thank you all for being a great resource!

As for my gardening history, I think the gardening bug is probably in my blood. My mom is an ecologist and my dad is a geologist, so nature, inside and outside of the cultivated garden, has always been a huge part of my life. Growing up, lush leafy places were my favorite playgrounds, and plants, rocks, and all manner of insects and amphibians were highly sought-after playmates. In that aspect I haven't changed much over the years ;) . I guess my interest in gardening grew into something of an obsession a few years before I moved to Santa Cruz, with the help of a very successful patio garden inhabited mostly by cloud forest plants (including a Brugmansia 'Charles Grimaldii' and a very happy purple Passiflora). Those same plants came with me when I moved here to study Horticulure.

Nowadays I'm a fledgling garden artist, and so far most of my gardens are either food forests or drought tolerant landscapes, or more often a little of both. In general I take a pretty eclectic approach to gardening, although I probably fall most in line with Permaculture. I'm especially fascinated by the relationships between organisms --I guess the apple doesn't fall far. I've done a fair amount of edible gardening, but mostly with the usual fruit and vege culprits, although often using interesting varieties grown in unusual ways (and densities;)), with a few interesting tubers in the mix (including Oca, Yacon, & Sunchoke). I'm really excited to start incorporating more exotic edibles. To start, I'd love to successfully grow Banana, Sapote and Cherimoya. And how about a Glenn Mango? I think I hear some of you groaning.

I still have a soft spot for exotic plants from moist places--I'm happy to see my Deppea splendens, Passiflora parritae and P. membranacea settling in nicely...I hope I get to see them bloom before too long. I'll post pics when they do. I'm also still completely in love with wild places. Lately I've been soaking up all I can on edible and medicinal mushrooms and native plants of the PNW, with the aim of feeling more at home in the wonderfully abundant forests in this area. The myriad world of gardening and ecology in general just never gets old--I find it all incredibly inspiring and rejuvinating and I just can't seem to get enough!

Re: Welcome florallie from Santa Cruz!

Postby Jason_AU » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:24 am

Jason_AU
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 9
Hey Allie, maybe some of the guys are a bit intimidated by highly intelligent female fruit gardeners :) since no one has replied yet (that might stir them into action :p), but welcome to the forum!. I've been raving on here for maybe 11 years and it's always been the first or one of the first web few pages I open in the morning, it's just a really good thing and I'll look forward to reading what you discover as you go along since I'm sure you do have and will some more very good insights into growing edibles :)

Postby DavidLJ48 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:14 pm

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
Jason

I did not realize we had to respond to someone posting here, unless they asked a questoin, or we are curios about something they mentioned, but then maybe that is just my perspective. I read the posts when I remember too, but seek the ones with data and questions more.

I don't feel intimidated by females, out standing in the field or the garden, ha ha. Being a Empath, I feel others emotions as my own, so I don't see and feel about others, like most guys do. Being a Empath, always prefer females, much more honest, sensitive and caring.

I actually prefer relating to females, farm more caring and less complex and game playing, well normally. Only have a problem, if they act like a rude macho dude.
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Postby Jason_AU » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:01 pm

Jason_AU
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 9
First post from a long time reading always deserves a welcome!:). It's strange to me but on most forums online the amount of regular readers that are non posters outweigh the posters by a huge magnitude so It's always great to get more people contributing to the collection of data

Postby DavidLJ48 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:36 pm

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
Jason, yes I agree. With the increased security of Cloudforest Cafe, it is nice to meet the many friends we had here, that we never knew had, how neat is that.

I as aware of some of them, because I had them email me, for more info, because I always left my email address, in that slot, when many were too afraid of spam, to do so. But I never noticed increased spam from it, at least no trail back to Cloudforest Cafe. But I have good filters, so don't worry much. I would rather have the chance to meet and help someone.

David
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Postby florallie » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:30 pm

florallie

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 17
Thanks for the warm welcome Jason! And I certainly hope there was no intimidation...I'm just a fellow inquisitive plant geek (AKA enthusiast), and if anyone's wary of that word, I mean it as the highest compliment. See you on the other posts ;)

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:11 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login