• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Hi from Brisbane

Postby Rusticular » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:45 pm

Rusticular

Climate Zone: sub tropical
I live on a large suburban block north west of Brisbane with about 500 sq/m. of useable land at about 65 m above sea level on a medium clay soil. Climate - well who knows what will happen, but currently sub-tropical.
I am growing Artocarpus (jackfruit, lakoocha, kwai muk), citrus, pomegranate, kei apple, mulberry, papaya, babaco (fourth attempt), Japanese raisin tree, grumichama, figs, coffee, cinnamon, cherry of the Rio Grande, Ceylon hill gooseberry, acerola cherry, carambola, blueberries (in pots), jabuticabas, custard apple, rollinia, canistel, macadamia (rats get most), mango, sapotes (white, black and yellow), grapes, star fruit, star apple, guisaro, avocado, abiu, achacha, feijoa, pitaya, pigeon pea, and various vegetables, herbs and spices. Some of the varietal names are known to me, along with their sources, others are... lost in time.
I have recently planted a mundu, pitomba, cocoa, araca boi, rainforest plum, perfumed guava, loquat, and will be removing my mango (too big), macadamia and white sapote (fruit fly) in the near future.
Here we have an overabundant supply of rats, possums, cockatoos, crows, water dragons, flying foxes and various insect pests. I currently keep 2 chickens and have kept muscovy ducks and quail.
I also maintain a small aquaponics system which now holds 21 Jade perch.

Re: Hi from Brisbane

Postby Ben » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:31 pm

Ben
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: NZ Z10
HI Rusticular, good to have another Aussie on here. I'm actually a kiwi but with an Aussie wife (from Lismore NSW area) and 4 (half) Aussie kids its close enough. How's the drought going for you? I hear it's getting bad in parts of SE QLD.

Fourth attempt at babaco eh? I had a laugh with the guy from the Murwillumbah Tropical Fruit World one time, he was grafting babaco onto papaya roots to get them to survive the warm wet soil, I was grafting papaya on to babaco roots to get them to survive the cold wet NZ soil!

Rats get most of my macadamias too. Does not worry me too much. I envy your your mango though, I have never got one to fruit here. Too much rain during flowering, and eventually they die here.

Re: Hi from Brisbane

Postby Rusticular » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:18 pm

Rusticular

Climate Zone: sub tropical
Hi Ben,
The drought here in SE Qld has broken, I think our dams are something like 80%. But yes I have a 23,000l tank which is now nearly full. But certain parts of Qld have ongoing drought.
My babaco is a graft from Daley's in Kyogle, NSW. I think they graft onto papayeulo but am not sure. Most of the customer comments on their website come from the southern states, so my guess is not many have had success with it in Qld. I have tried a few cuttings directly, planted potted established cuttings, a purported clone, none with ongoing success. I have tried planting directly in the ground, and in pots, this time, my pot is inverted and the bottom cut out.
We only seem to get a good season every two or three years for mangos, drought is good because they are less likely to suffer anthracnose. But unfortunately nothing else grows without decent rains, most fruit trees require regular watering to thrive.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:54 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login