• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Hi from Carlsbad, CA

Postby natol » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:36 pm

natol

Climate Zone: 10b
Hi,
I'm originally from Oregon, but recently moved to Carlsbad. I've always been interested in growing tropical/subtropical fruits but never had any land anywhere warm enough to grow them on up until recently. I've mostly started out last spring with planting bananas. I'm currently growing 5 different types. Recently I've planted pineapple guava, ruby-x guava, strawberry guava, a reed avocado, surinam cherry, mission fig, and a tree tomato plant. I've also been trying to grow tea plants for about a year, but am not having much luck with those.

The soil at my house is mostly clay which will probably be a problem for some of the plants I am trying to grow. I've also been very impatient this winter, and should have probably waited until spring to plant some of these plants. But, hopefully they will make it through to spring.

Re: Hi from Carlsbad, CA

Postby nullzero » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:31 am

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Welcome to the forums. I bet your having a fun time with the climate. I would look into adding more figs, mangoes, and dragon fruit.

Postby RodneyS » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:06 am

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Welcome to sunny CA! Good luck w/ your collection thus far. You can ask your local coffee shops for their used coffee grounds & horse stables for their composted manure for free/cheap soil amendments.

Cherimoya would do well for you. What banana varieties do you have?

Postby natol » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:55 pm

natol

Climate Zone: 10b
I have dragon fruit. It's small but growing pretty well so far. I love Mangos, but the skin from fresh mangos gives me such a bad rash that I'm skipping that plant in my garden It's basically like touching poison ivy for me to touch a fresh mango, unfortunately.

I've never heard of Cherimoya. I just read the wikipedia entry about those though, and I am intrigued. Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely keep an eye out for that plant next time I'm at the exotic fruit nursery.

The first bananas I planted were Raja Puri, Gold Finger, and a Lady Finger. All 3 of these are very big, and I think I will get my first fruit off of them this Summer. I have 2 smaller California Gold bananas that I planted a little later, but I suspect that the person who sold them to me may have given me dwarf cavendish instead. I'll probably have to wait until I get my first ripe bananas to know for sure. I'm also growing 2 very small Gros Michel's in pots in my living room that I'm waiting until spring to plant in my back yard.

Postby Oolie » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:24 pm

Oolie
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: sunset 23
I'm interested to see how the vintage banana does in our climate. Rodney is right, you can have free soil amendments/ fertilizers all over, and when planting things that need well drained soil, just plant on mounds or high spots.

I've read that the hellen avocado does well in less than ideal soils.

It's too bad about the mango allergy, it's common, but in some people it is infrequent. Lychees, longans, passionfruit, loquats, white sapote, and many others do well here, if you haven't yet, there's CRFG meetings the 4th wedensday of every month down in balboa park, not sure where or when north county holds theirs, but you can meet a lot of people who have a lot of knowledge.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:03 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login