• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Re: Hi from Homestead FLorida

Postby IowaAvo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:31 pm

IowaAvo

Climate Zone: USDA zone 5
Thanks anyways Carlos, I was hoping to luck into someone with a "Choquette" tree that was producing, or possible some late fruit from a "Monroe". I also thought that we were at the tail end of the "Oro Negro" production, but I guess I'm too late for that.

My experiment is to produce container trees, ones meant to be brought indoors during our cruddy Iowa winters.

By the way, your videos are impressive, and very expert and well made.

Thanks
Ken

Postby CTMIAMI » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:21 am

CTMIAMI
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 10b
Ken you are correct there are choquettes in the trees until late March. Also there are Monroe seedlings fruit that I saw last year around march. How many pits would you want?
You are correct West Indies have very strong root systems and since you are growing in pots you dont have to worry about root rot if you use the right soil mix.

Here they use Waldin as the preferred root stock also Lula. I like a little know tree Catalina is a very strong trees as grows fast. On the other hand you want small trees so I'm not sure. Monroes grow slower than the other trees but eventualy is a big tree.

If I can run into some how many pits wouls you need?

Postby IowaAvo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:00 am

IowaAvo

If possible, a dozen or two or more from each variety. Especially if they were Choquettes or Waldins. I'm planning to use Wurtz, Mexicola, and Holiday as my dwarf scion sources. I'm also going to use Lila (Opal), Brazos Belle, Oro Negro, and Brookslate (Brook's Late) as scion sources from non-dwarf varieties. I'd really like to add Sharwil as well, but I have not found a source to ship me one yet.
Thanks
Ken
Last edited by IowaAvo on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby CTMIAMI » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:49 am

CTMIAMI
Cloudforest Expert

Choquettes may be available, Waldins are gone.
Have you actually gotten any avocado to fruit to maduration under the Iowa conditions?
Why Brooks Late? Big seed little meat flavor OK
Try Brooks Tropicals in Homestead they sell fruit and seeds I'm not sure if they ship small quantities. See what they have available now.

Postby IowaAvo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:21 am

IowaAvo

No, I haven't, as far as maturation, my experiment is just beginning. I'm doing this as a container experiment because we have only a five month growing season here, so its also an exercise to keep me occupied the rest of the year. The container trees should be able to stay outdoors for the five months, then be brought in and placed under artificial lighting when the weather turns cold. I was thinking about Brook's Late due to the later fruiting/harvest time. I've been on the Brook's Tropicals site, I'm going to see if they'll sell/ship me a flat of Choquettes...

Postby IowaAvo » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:19 pm

IowaAvo

No such luck, they're out of choquettes...

Postby CTMIAMI » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:59 pm

CTMIAMI
Cloudforest Expert

Yes we are very much out of fruit. Wait for Waldin in the summer

Previous

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:27 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login