• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Hi from Homestead FLorida

Postby CTMIAMI » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:16 am

CTMIAMI
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 10b
I have 20 acres of avocados in Homestead, for me avocados are not only a source of income but a pasionate hobby. I like to experiment in grafting and try diferent varieties not usualy seen in this area.
I would be interested to see if anyone is growing a lamb hass, nishikawa or Florida Hass tree in the So. Florida area.
At the present time I grow: Dupuis, Beta, Monroe, Donnie, Russell, Oro Negro.
I have single trees of Mexicola, Yamagata, Nishikawa, Wilson JR, Florida Hass, Beacon, Ca Hass and Sir Prize all small non bearing at this time.
I have a large Catalina and Simonds both bearing trees.

Regards

Re: Hi from Homestead FLorida

Postby RodneyS » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:08 am

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Welcome to the Cloudforest, CTMIAMI.

I am thinking of purchasing a lamb hass or kona sharwil in the future. I have a small hass that I got last year for $8. It needs to time to grow up before it'll bear fruit.

Postby Jason (palo alto) » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:16 am

Jason (palo alto)
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Z17, 9b
Welcome! 20 acres is a lot of avocados! Having tried a Florida avocado only once I am no expert but definitely had a milder flavor with a HUGE seed. Have you had any success in fruiting the hass and Mexicola types? What else are you growing?

PS, I'll be in Homestead on Vacation at the end of January with the family. I would love to try some of your Florida avocados :)

Postby CTMIAMI » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:34 pm

CTMIAMI
Cloudforest Expert

Unfortunately at the end of this month I do not have any avocados. We are getting into the time of the year that we do not have any fruit. There is one that I don't grow called Brooks Late it is a small fruit with a huge seed, January February.
The mexicola, I know it grows here. I have tasted the fruit from a friend and is good, small, I just top worked a tree a few weeks ago hoping that I can have fruit next year, a freeze a few days ago may have killed the grafts. My cal Hass is 6 Ft tall have not seen fruit and from what every one tells me it will be small with bigger seed.

We do have good tasting fruit but unfortunately in Florida we are commercial oriented and the good fruit not consistent in production or its size is not condusive to commercial packing.

Postby nullzero » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:56 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Welcome to the forums CTMIAMI. Its interesting comparing the differences in fruit between California and Florida grown. One thing I noticed, is Florida fruit is always larger and juicer.

Postby CTMIAMI » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:01 am

CTMIAMI
Cloudforest Expert

Thanks, Yes they are larger and some very good tasting

Postby IowaAvo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:42 pm

IowaAvo

Climate Zone: USDA zone 5
Just the person I'm looking for. The avocultivation bug has recently hit me, but, due to my living in Iowa I'm limited to container trees that can be moved indoors in winter. Any chance you could send me some pits from your West Indian type trees? Freight collect, of course. I have no problem getting the Hass types, but the West Indian types from Florida rarely reach my stores.
Thanks
Ken

Postby CTMIAMI » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:28 pm

CTMIAMI
Cloudforest Expert

Why would you want pits? Are you looking to grow avocados for foliage or for fruit? If for fruit, avocados do not come true from seed, it would be better to get a grafted tree. If for foliage yes it would be ok.
I'm not sure you can get them to bear fruit in Iowa? have you done it? Have your trees had fruit?
It would be like me trying to grow apples in my area nealy impossible.

Good luck, let me know
Carlos

Postby IowaAvo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:45 pm

IowaAvo

Climate Zone: USDA zone 5
Thanks Carlos.

They are for rootstock for grafting purposes. I'm trying a variety of rootstocks along with a variety of grafting scions, primarily from types considered "cold hardy" but from dwarf types as well. The goal is to produce a suitable producing container tree for my area.
Ken

Postby CTMIAMI » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:41 pm

CTMIAMI
Cloudforest Expert

Ken, We have a new cultivar, Oro Negro, We had a freeze in December all of my varieties got some leave burn except Oro Negro. But I have no information about how cold hardy it is. I have no fruit now, trees are flowering at this time.

Next

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:31 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login