• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Hi from Napa!

Postby Poloncarz » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:11 pm

Poloncarz

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 14/15
Hello out there in cloud forest land! I'm here in Napa (Coombsville) on about an acre. Looking for folks nearby to share my obsession with my pome fruits. Fruit is joy!

Re: Hi from Napa!

Postby sun-junkie » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:56 pm

sun-junkie

Climate Zone: 9a
Nice! I'd love to live there. Growing any grapes? How many tons per acre can one get in Napa?

Postby Poloncarz » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:11 pm

Poloncarz

Hi! In Napa, it's all about low yield; so an acre might get you 600 cases. Yes; I have a couple grapevines. But I'm surrounded by wineries and a seasonal creek and am much more interested in the productivity of my pome fruits and walnuts. Napa is a wonderful climate for farming (being born and raised in Buffalo).

Postby sun-junkie » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:57 am

sun-junkie

Very nice! I'm into low-chill apples and of course pecans (here in TX), but citrus and blueberries are my main interest. 1 winning lotto ticket though and we'll be neighbors, lol.

Postby Poloncarz » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:58 pm

Poloncarz

My largest client is in Houston, so I spend quite a bit of time there. I also lived in Dallas for a bit. For me winning the lottery means I could buy the neighbors' property before the premium winery on the other side buys it up! What low chill apples? Anna, Eim Shemer?

Postby sun-junkie » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:43 pm

sun-junkie

All growing on M1111 roots...

1) 4-in-1 Anna, Fuji, Golden Dorsett, & Gordon.
2) 3-in-1 Anna, Fuji, & Golden Dorsett.
3) Carnivale

Yard guy killed our newly planted Eim Shemer last year by putting his weedeater into the bark. I've since installed corrugated tubing to protect the lower trunks.

Postby Poloncarz » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:07 pm

Poloncarz

Cool. I've got seven apples coming from where I grew up and went to college on "Geneva" dwarfing rootstock developed by Cornell agricultural field station in Geneva, New York. Everyone around here only uses M111, maybe because that's what Dave Wilson offers. But the nursery in upstate New York needs to wait for the snow to melt to pull them out and send to me; honestly, I've been waiting for a coffee table from Denmark longer than I've been waiting for these trees. But I grew up in Buffalo so I understand. I've got the holes dug and am like an expectant parent. Can't wait to return to Napa tomorrow to see how my trees have done while I've been in SF for the work week! I actually got a ticket--the first in my life--last March on 101 because I was racing up to see if my quinces had leafed-out during the week; but I had the good sense to decide that it wasn't a good story to tell the CHP when he asked why I was driving so fast that I needed to get there before dark.

Postby sun-junkie » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:25 pm

sun-junkie

M111 is a good rootstock, doesn't require staking. My father-in-law uses it in combo with a dwarfing innerstem. The result is dwarf apple trees with well-anchored roots.

I'm doing something similar with citrus, inner stem (neutral orange tree) to overcome compatibility issues between popular mandarins and the preferred trifoliate rootstock for our area.

Good luck w/ that ticket!

Postby Poloncarz » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:50 pm

Poloncarz

Cool. I fed all my trees that were leafing out today, mostly pomegranates, apples, figs, apricots, peaches and quince. A couple pears are already blooming but the others are still sleeping. Hope you have a great weekend in the garden/orchard!

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:46 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login