• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

From Tampa Bay

Postby koreenb » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:42 pm

koreenb

Climate Zone: USDA 9
Glad to find this group of subtropical enthusiasts. Been reading other posts from Floridians - it is a challenge, isn't it? Met someone in Gainesville who is handling it with a large greenhouse - he has some full tropicals in there and they're doing great. Florida U in Gainesville has done a bunch of work to isolate hardy subtropicals that will take freezes and hardy pitted fruit that will take the heat and humidity.

I just built a temp greenhouse which saved my seedlings from the recent frost - people lost stuff almost all the way to Naples. The weather may be unpredictable like this for a while so we're really going to have to be clever about creating microclimates and picking super hardy cultivars. There is so much you can grow here, though, I am not complaining at all - I'm in heaven with a year round growing season after spending the summer at Pine Ridge reservation in S Dakota. Try having only three months to get your harvest - getting golf ball hail or even freezes in June or July OR August, and having to wait until next year to see if any of the trees you planted survived the fall drought..... Yet, we found so many edible native plants up there, and there were so many types of food and herb we could grow I never heard of (being from the southern parts mainly).

Re: From Tampa Bay

Postby RodneyS » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:53 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Welcome koreenb! What do you have in the yard?

Postby koreenb » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:18 pm

koreenb

Climate Zone: USDA 9
Got a lot of winter stuff right now, just started a nursery with cuttings, seeds, donos. Feijoa, passion fruit (including a native one), banana, strawberry guava, fig, red cotton, veggies, various edible hibiscus, tithonia, allspice (propagating), mints, native tomato, Italian and Asian greens, Okinawa spinach, various nitro fixers, moringa, etc. How about you? Wow, 11A, nice. I lived in LA for a while, could grow a lot of stuff!

Postby RodneyS » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:35 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

About My Garden
Cherimoya (Honeyhart, Selma, Fino de Jete, Pierce, El Bumpo)
Dragonfruit (Giant Viet, American Beauty, Thai Red, Physical Graffiti, Purple Haze, Voodoo Child, Phoenix Red, Yellow)
Jujube (Sugarcane & Honeyjar)
Longan (Kohala)
Jakfruit (Gold Nugget)
Papaya (Sunrise & Waimanalo)
Mango (Ataulfo seedling, Timotayo)
Calamondin (seedlings)
Pacay (seedling)
Yacon
Avocado (Hass)
Nectarine (Snow Queen)
Blueberry (SharpBlue)
Orange (Cara Cara)
Prickly Pear (Mexican Sweet)
Pineapple (Gold, Kona Sugarloaf)
Banana (Dwarf Namwah, Dwarf Red, Goldfinger)
Caigua
Moringa (seedling)
Lychee (Hak Ip, Sweetheart)
Taro (Black-stemmed)
Passionfruit (Mission Dolores, Lilikoi seedlings, Purple seedling)
Sapodilla (Hasya)
Jaboticaba (seedling)
Acai (Para seedling)
Pomegranate (Eversweet)
Goji berry
Cherry of the Rio Grande (seedling)
Grumichama (seedling)
Macadamia (seedling)
Green Sapote (seedling)
Chilean Guava
Tree Collard
Strawberry (Seascape)

Postby RodneyS » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:41 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

And a mangosteen & Jamaica cherry seedling

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:00 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login