• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Welcome garciap from San Francisco

Postby garciap » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:57 pm

garciap

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 17, USDA zone 10
Hi, I'm Paul from the Sunset District of San Francisco. I grew up on a walnut orchard in the Northern Sacramento Valley, so growing things in San Francisco required considerable change from what I observed growing up. When my family moved to our house 10 years ago the yard was a miserable, rat-infested patch of blackberry vines and ivy. We cleared it out and I took up gardening. Gardening has proved an excellent hobby for me, as it doesn't require that I be away from my family (as my job does).

I'm not sophistiocated enough to have a gardening theme; I like to grow anything that grows well. Having very limited space, I favor plants that produce fruit that is better than what I can get in the store and plants that produce showy flowers throughout the year.

I grow:
Fruit: apples, asian pears, asian plums, passion fruits (not edulis), avocado, white sapote, cherimoya, meyer lemon, bears lime, calamondin, trovita orange, owari satsuma mandarin, blueberries, strawberry guava, naranjilla, tamarillo, babaco papaya, rocoto peppers, ground cherries, rhubarb, herbs
Ornamental: Fuchsias (many species and a few mite-resistent hybrids), lapageria rosea, brugmansias, roses (only the most disease resistent), tree ferns, camilia, clematis, salvias, dahlias, hibiscus, cannas

I started keeping bees this year. They seem to be doing very well. They've socked away a lot of honey, but I've resisted harvesting until next spring.

Over the past decade my number one activity outside of work has been watching my two boys' sporting events. My youngest son just left for college so I have a lot more time for "hobbies"--Cloudforest posts included!
Attachments
hiving bees-2.jpg
Hiving bees
hiving bees-2.jpg (199.75 KiB) Viewed 746 times
IMAG0031.jpg
Back deck
IMAG0031.jpg (161.4 KiB) Viewed 746 times
IMAG0068.jpg
Brugmansia in front of house
IMAG0068.jpg (77.32 KiB) Viewed 746 times
Paul

Inner Sunset, San Francisco

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:23 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login