• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

My garden

Postby SanDiegoRob » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:44 pm

SanDiegoRob

Climate Zone: 10
HI I'm Rob from Vista, California. (Zone 10 I think?) I bought a house 2 years ago and I just wanted to put in a couple of avocado trees and mandarins. But.. the list keeps growing! I enjoy reading all of the posts and advice on cloud forest to help my own garden because I am a rookie.
Here is what I have planted so far......

Avocado: Walterhole, Daily 11, Gem, Little-cado, Sir Prize, Reed, Queen, Pinkerton, Nimloh, Mexicola Grande, Lamb Hass, Kona, Jan Boyce, Helen, Hass, Fuerte
Cherries: Royal Rainer, Mini Royal, Royal Lee, Lapins, Cherry Plums (delight and sprite)
Peacotom
4-in-1 Pluots (3)
Nectaplum
Pakistan Mulberry
Snowqueen Nectarine
Red Barron Peach
20th Century Pear
Big Jim Loquat
Weeping Santa Rosa Plum
Mission Fig
Cotton Candy Aprium
Citrus: Red Smith, Tango, Cara Cara, Gold Nugget, Yosemite, Tahoe, Satsuma, Washington Navel, Bearas Lime, 3 Lemons, Clementine
Apples: My newest adventure is growing a 'Belgian Fence' with 14 different apple trees.

All of this on a 1/3 acre!

My daughter bought me a graphting knife and I've been graphting ever since. I took down an unknown apricot tree and I put 50 grafts in it. Only half are successful. A nursery just pruned all of their trees and gave me the branches so I filled up my truck.

My trees are new though, my only fruit are the mandarins so far. I enjoy reading your posts, although I don't have any advice to give until I get more fruit! I check cloud forest everyday. Thanks.

Re: My garden

Postby RodneyS » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:28 am

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Welcome to the CloudForest, Rob! Nice collection & space management

Postby Axel » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:27 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Welcome Rob. I am curious, what are the 14 varieties of apples that you grow? You are in a very mild area and I am very interested to hear what varieties do well for you. It's data all the cloudforesters can use. :)
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby SanDiegoRob » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:53 pm

SanDiegoRob

Hi Rodney
Earlier you asked about my fig. It's brand new, so I don't know how well it will bear fruit. I am trying to make one tree out of 4 cherry trees, one of which is a Royal Rainer. I topped it at 20". The rest of my cherries are doing well, but the Royal is sprouting from the bottom, just above the graft. You are right about space management. I have had lots of time off lately (I'm in construction and don't work when it rains) and I when I wrote down how many trees I have planted, I was actually quite shocked. (I was even thinking about not listing all of them!!)

Postby SanDiegoRob » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:02 pm

SanDiegoRob

Hi Axel,
I am trying to make a Belgian fence using benchgrafts that I just received from a nursery in Riverside.
I have the following all on M7 root stock:
Honey Crisp
Pink Lady
Arkansas Black
Wiliam's Pride
Nittany
Hawaii
Rubinette
Wealthy
Buskoop Red
Lady Williams
Fuji
Dixie Red Delight
Delicious
Golden Dorset
Anna
Red Fuji
My main concern is not to get Fire Blight in the middle of my fence.

Postby Axel » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:06 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Did you get these from Kevin at Kuffel Creek? I have family in Riverside so when I go down there, I usually try to stop by his place. He's a great fellow, interesting to see someone trying to grow apples in the middle of a citrus paradise. And he is very passionate about apples too.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby SanDiegoRob » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:47 pm

SanDiegoRob

Yes. I got them from Kevin at Kuffelcreek. I liked his website. He seems like a really honest guy.. Boy Scouts, his intro music, apple pie! (OH, I mean apple trees! HA) All my dealings with him have been great.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:34 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login