• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Greetings from California!

Postby moderne_rustik » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:29 pm

moderne_rustik

Climate Zone: USDA 9b
Hello everyone,

I just purchased a nice chunk of land and am trying to plan ahead for next year. Right now there's a few apricot plants and plums and a couple of "rogue" almond trees. Apparently, they're like the cat who came back, you cut them down and they come back. (I have a huge almond orchard across the street.)

I'm wondering what all would be able to grow on the new place. I'm in zone 9b, central California near Stockton. I would love if I could grow some avocados, blood oranges, lemons, limes, peaches. From my research, it sounds like all are possible.

What about some of the more tropical fruit? Like lychees and mangos? Or berries?

I plan to start small but have big aspirations. Hope to learn a lot here.

Re: Greetings from California!

Postby Axel » Thu May 02, 2013 9:55 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Welcome. The area you're in is known for stone fruits, but you should be able to find some hardy citrus and avocados that will grow there. Lychees and mangoes are too cold sensitive to make it through Winter in your area.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby Oolie » Fri May 03, 2013 1:28 pm

Oolie
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: sunset 23
I don't know if you can, but it's worth considering black mulberries, though you'll have to do something about the birds.

Postby mlar » Fri May 03, 2013 4:07 pm

mlar
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset 14/USDA 9B
moderne_rustik wrote: I'm wondering what all would be able to grow on the new place. I'm in zone 9b, central California near Stockton. I would love if I could grow some avocados, blood oranges, lemons, limes, peaches. From my research, it sounds like all are possible.

Yes, but you need to pay special attention to limes and avocados. Not all varieties will make it here. Some people say lemons can be problematic, but I have never had any issues with my lemon trees.

moderne_rustik wrote: What about some of the more tropical fruit? Like lychees and mangos? Or berries?

Do not bother with Lychees. If you cover them and give them some heat they will survive the winter, that is not the problem. The problem is getting them to survive the summer.

As far as mangoes, it can be done, again, you need protect the tree through winter, but they handle the summer heat better than lychees.

Unless you have a greenhouse that you are prepared to heat at possibly great expense, I'd probably stay away from most sub-tropical fruit. I personally keep tropical guavas and pineapples in a greenhouse over winter, and I have a starfruit tree that I cover and heat every winter.

If you want to try something more "tropical", you can try bananas (Ice Cream, Rajapuri and Cardaba are my best performers), strawberry guava, surinam cherry, passion fruit (P. Edulis 'Black Knight' performs well for me).

Having said all of that, I'm pretty sure you'd be happier getting some good tasting fruit that does well here in the central valley, like pluots, plums, apriums, apples, pomegranates, peacotums, pluerries, peaches, nectarines, citrus, mulberries, figs and persimmons.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:03 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login