• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Greetings from Melinda

Postby Melinda22 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:05 am

Melinda22

Climate Zone: USDA zone 4b
Hello,
I'm new to the forum and just wanted to thank everyone here for their contributions to putting together such a great resource.
About me: I'm a mother, nutritionist, dog trainer and as of recently am beginning to work with horses. As if my hands weren't full enough, I finally have the space to begin living one of my most major dreams: growing rare and unusual fruits, edibles and medicinals. I would like to share what my family doesn't need with my community, and I also have a local natural foods coop that would prefer fruits and plants from me as opposed to their non local sources. I have plenty of space to grow, so this is not an issue.
I'm in Wisconsin (brrr), zone 4b, and this of course creates some real challenges in terms of growing tropicals, but I'm up for it. My husband and I have plans to build a geodesic dome this spring - For the glazing we'll be using Poly-keder, a product designed and manufactured in Germany specifically for greenhouses. It's about half the cost of glass and offers 60 -95% internal heat retention. It also diffuses light, allowing the plants to grow strait up in the winter. There are some other pretty cool innovations that help to regulate temps, such as automatic vents operated by wax cylinders that respond to heat, and tanks of water and a reflective radiant heat barrier on the north side. It's relatively inexpensive to build. All of this is passive, so we'll see if anything else is necessary to supplement heat and light. If so, there are a few different approaches that we are considering, such as tromb walls combined with parabolic mirrors, solar powered lighting, or just good old fashioned electricity strait off the grid.
I'm hoping to learn as much here as possible about unusual plants that I can grow both in the greenhouse and outdoors year round, and how to care for them. I also would like to share my experiences and successes with others!
Thanks so much for reading!
Melinda

Re: Greetings from Melinda

Postby Axel » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:22 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Welcome. I am very curious as to what you can grow in your geodesic dome. Reminds me of the fellow in the show Northern Exposure that lived in a geodesic dome in Alaska and grew all sorts of things in there.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:24 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login