• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Greetings from Violet Cactus in southern Australia

Postby Violet Cactus » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:20 am

Violet Cactus

Climate Zone: Australia Zone 3
Hello, fellow rare fruit enthusiasts. I am a keen gardener whose backyard is filled from fence to fence with unusual edibles. Recently we bought a block of land in the country, so that we can expand our collection.
Here in Melbourne, Australia, our climate allows us to grow everything from high chill berries and stone fruits to low chill sub-tropicals (with a bit of microclimate adjustment here and there).
In particular I enjoy growing fruits and vegetables of unusual flesh colours - 'red dacca' bananas, blood peaches, 'purple congo' potatoes, 'cranberry red' potatoes, 'sapphire' potatoes, purple sweet potatoes, 'cara cara' oranges, blood oranges, red grapefruits etc.
In addition to these, I grow babaco, wampi, longan, guavas (6 kinds) curry leaf tree, pepino, culinary myrtle, Chilean laurel, Peruvian Earth Apple, custard apple, cherries, plums, apples, pears, mulberries, currants, jujubes, figs, persimmons, citrus and berries of all descriptions, and others too numerous to mention.
I belong to this group -
http://www.heritagefruitssociety.org.au/
and this group -
http://www.werribeeparkheritageorchard.org.au/
... and it's great to be here!

Re: Greetings from Violet Cactus in southern Australia

Postby RodneyS » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:48 am

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Welcome to the Cloudforest, Violet!

Question - Vegemite, yay or nay?

Postby Axel » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:59 am

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Welcome to the Cloudforest! Given your fruit collection you will feel right at home here. My collection sounds very similar to yours.

What on Earth is the Peruvian Earth Apple? (No pun intended. :D )

Also, given you're in Melbourne, I assume you mean the cherimoya when you talk about the Custard apple, because the real Custard Apple is really too tropical for Melbourne, unless you have a greenhouse.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby Violet Cactus » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:48 pm

Violet Cactus

Actually, yes Axel, I mean cherimoya Fino de Jete!
Peruvian Earth Apple is a fancy name for Yacon. :)
I should have also mentioned galangal, tamarillo, cardamom (it doesn't fruit) quince, kiwi fruit, kiwi berry, Japanese Raisin Tree and Kaffir Lime, (List still not exhaustive!)

Postby Axel » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:13 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
I have Yacon, tamarillo, quince, kiwi fruit & Berry, rainsin tree and kaffir lime. I don't have cardamon, but I grow an allspice tree which flowered for the first time last Summer. I have no idea what galangal is. Sounds very interesting to say the least.

Do you grow any of the other Andean vegetables?
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby Violet Cactus » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:30 pm

Violet Cactus

RodneyS - Vegemite a resounding YAY! And thanks for your welcome!

Axel, the Andean edibles grow very well here in Melbourne, but the only other Andean veg I grow (besides potatoes) are lots of colourful chilli peppers.
Andean fruits - I have a young Lucuma tree, I *did* have a Naranjilla :( I also have passionfruit, Capulin Cherry, Golden berry and Mountain Pawpaw.

Your garden looks heavenly, by the way. Nice photos.

PS Galangal - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galangal

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:04 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login