• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Greetings

Postby konan99 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:15 am

konan99

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 15
Long time lurker... actually posted some stuff about grafting a many years ago but the account is lost.

Anyways, hoping to learn and share.

p.s. I am preparing a new backyard garden in a new house and would love to share ideas and exchange seeds with other folks. Passionflower comes to mind since my wife love it.

Tom

Re: Greetings

Postby konan99 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:19 am

konan99

Forgot to mention, I am located in San Jose, CA, USA.

I am planning to put 2 greenhouses (using the popular HF 10x12x10 greenhouse) to house two special plants... an Emperor guava and a Black Pearl wax apple. The rest of the fruiting trees will be outside and some close to the south facing wall.

if anyone wants to see the design, let me know and I can the design over... also would love to get some critiques :-)

Cheers!

Postby barathr » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:17 am

barathr
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 10a
Hi Tom,

I'm happy to share various passionfruit plants in the Spring -- I'm going to be propagating several varieties this winter. Remind me in the Spring and I can pass them along.

Postby konan99 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:43 am

konan99

Hi Barathr,

Thanks so much for your generosity! I'll definitely ping you around Spring time. If you are looking for anything, please let me know as well. I am currently growing some stuff in the current garden including Big Jim Loquat, Mexican Cream guavas, some citrus, Utah Sweet Pom, and Lemon Strawberry guava.

Postby konan99 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:45 am

konan99

BTW, do you have the passiflora pinnastipula mentioned by Axel in the other thread... I am too shy to ask him for a cutting or seeds... I plan to plant two variety of passionflora and this one sounds unique. The other one will probably be either Dark Knight or Fredrick but I am not sure the difference between the two. Thanks!

Postby barathr » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:20 am

barathr
Cloudforest Expert

I don't have P. pinnatistipula -- I haven't tried finding it, so I'm not sure where's a good source. I'm growing P. edulis Frederick, P. edulis Black Knight, P. edulis flavicarpa Hawaiian Lilikoi, P. ligularis, P. laurifolia, P. alata, P. mollissima, and have seedlings of other P. edulis / flavicarpa and P. antioquiensis. I'll be propagating many of these and would be happy to share -- I think the challenge in San Jose will be frost, so I'd be that the P. edulis varieties are the best to go with.

How is the Mexican Cream guava doing for you? I have it growing in a parking lot here in Berkeley, but I don't know whether it will eventually produce good fruit or not.

Postby konan99 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:04 pm

konan99

Wow that's pretty awesome collection. I have just enough space to grow 2 passion fruits so trying to figure out two good variety (taste wise) that would survive in San Jose. What's the taste difference between Fredrick or Black Knight? The other one will be the yellow type ideally pinnastipula since it was highly recommended.

I have a Mexican Cream that survived 3+ years without any protection next to a fence. It fruited once and it was very fragrance and taste nice but I think Berkeley may be too cold for it? Even if it fruits, I wonder if the fruit would mature and taste good?

I have another one growing in a pot that I am moving to the new house next year. It will be planted next to a southern fence and wall. I plan to acquire the Emperor guava also since it is a "crunchy" type and supposedly has excellent flavor. It will be grown under a greenhouse for better frost protection and warmth to mature the fruit.

Postby barathr » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:00 pm

barathr
Cloudforest Expert

Thanks! I just posted an update on my post on the passionfruits I grew here:

gardening/passionfruit-harvest-update-t5702.html

I don't know how the flavor would be different in San Jose -- you get more heat than I do, though the place where I grew these is pretty warm by Berkeley standards (this year, anyway). I'm going to try some new varieties next year and see if they taste better or have other nice qualities.

I also don't know the hardiness of these, but I've come to believe that it doesn't matter too much -- the vines are vigorous enough that if they're planted in late winter (like mid-February) in San Jose they'll grow big enough to fruit heavily even if they die back the next winter -- so they can be grown as annuals. (I know some folks just cut them back and protect them in ground and let them re-grow after frost.)

That's great about the guava tree, especially that it's been hardy for you and produces well. I think you're right that it's not hot enough here for it to fruit well...

Postby Paul-SF » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:26 pm

Paul-SF

Climate Zone: Sunset 17, USDA 10a
I am growing P. pinnatistipula and will be happy to provide seeds or cuttings. I will be at the CRFG Golden Gate chapter's scion exchange in Berkeley in January and can bring them. Otherwise, you can pickup in San Francisco. P. pinnastipula is sweet, but seedy and a bit slimy. I am using it for hybridization purposes and currently am growing out about 30 seedlings from the cross P. pinnastipula X P. mollissima. My quest that I am performing in conjunction with another Cloudforester, cchan, is to develop a sweet, non-seedy, cool weather passionfruit. Please checkout this thread for some of the passiflora that we are growing: gardening/pretty-successful-year-for-passion-fruit-t5576.html?hilit=pinnatistipula#p39293

Paul

Postby barathr » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:04 pm

barathr
Cloudforest Expert

Paul -- that sounds like a great project. I'd love to grow pinnatistipula, and eventually try your hybrids as well.

(Do none of the edulis varieties produce sweet fruit for you?)

Next

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:51 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login