• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Re: Growing Fruit in Las Vegas

Postby gopherus » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:35 pm

gopherus

Climate Zone: 9b
nullzero, forgot to mention, have also been looking for opuntia plants that are totally spineless. What i meant is spine-free and glochid-free, if they even exist..Wouldn't want anybody getting riddled with glochids, which i think are worse than spines, yikes! Also have a couple of desert tortoises, hence the username, and hence the quest for opuntia and corchorus..
lastly, love corchorus as a vegetable, myself

and love to contemplate its wonders while eating it!

Postby nullzero » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:30 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Have not seen totally glochid less Opuntia. However, I do have a number of spineless Opuntia sp. The spineless Opuntia do tend to have small sucker spines. I can handle most of the Opuntia sp. pads I have with bare hands (the spineless ones). I can pick the fruit with bare hands as well on number prickly pears. However, getting stuck with a couple glochids is more likely. The glochid don't bother me, I am mainly interested in the fruit and pad quality.

Here is some pictures of recent fruit of a Opuntia I collected.
gardening/cactus-flowering-and-fruiting-t3336-10.html

Postby toybits » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:29 pm

toybits

wondering if anyone here has heard of (or actually already have)a "Dwarf Everbearing Mulberry" being sold online by Hirt's Gardens? The website states it is a Morus nigra, but i want to make sure it is. It is being sold as a three-inch tall plant which is supposedly a cutting(?) and that it is supposed to bear fruit at ~9 " tall. I was hoping if anyone here actually proved that it is a morus nigra and if it is indeed going to bear fruit at less than a foot tall.

btw, nullzero, can you give me Roger Meyer's email address(if ok with you)? i would like to buy sherwood and honey jar jujubes from him

love this site, thanks in advance!
nullzero wrote:Gopherus,

That is a shame that Black Mulberry is banned. Are you growing any Opuntia sp. (aka prickly pears?). For different Jujube varieties, I suggest you contact Roger Meyer. I can give you his email in private message. Roger probably has one of the largest collections of Jujube varieties in the U.S., he lives in Orange County, CA.

You can get vegetable corchorus olitorius from here http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seeds_molokeyhia_1.html

Postby nullzero » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:29 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Here you go toybits, Roger Meyer's contact can be found at the website.

http://www.jujubesales.com/Contact-Us.php

Postby toybits » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:06 am

toybits

thanks Nullzero, appreciate it!

Previous

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:35 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login