• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Happy Memorial weekend from northern northern northern CA

Postby Alan » Sun May 26, 2013 9:56 am

Alan

Climate Zone: USDA zone 9b
I'm right up here in the topmost corner of the State just a few minutes from the Oregon border on the coast. My wife and I bought a half acre home with a huge garden area that was previously COMPLETELY overgrown with blackberries, and we are slowly making progress through that area by digging them up one at a time as they show their ugly heads.

The primary reason I registered here is because I was expanding my compost pile (adding a second bin) and found two avocado seedlings growing in the pile. My wife is very excited about the prospect of having avocados growing in the yard, but I understand they are somewhat complicated to get fruit to grow on them. I was hoping to get some direction on that subject here.

I also have lots of questions about plant ID from time to time and I needed some type of resource for that, so this seemed like a good place to start.

Re: Happy Memorial weekend from northern northern northern C

Postby Phacelia » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:00 am

Phacelia

Location: coastal mediterranean california. Urban. SF Bay Area.
Climate Zone: Sunset 17, USDA 10
Hi, Alan. I am new to this forum as well, but I'm not new to gardening or landscaping. I know that exciting feeling of finding free gifts in the compost pile ! In fact, I just transplanted out from my compost pile these 6 MONSTER seedlings that are undoubtedly pumpkins, or cucumbers, or delicata squash, or....?
The mighty Fuerte avocado was a chance seedling on a tree in Atlixco, Mexico! Hass Avocado too (discovered among 300 seedlings grown by a Postal Carrier named Rudolph Hass in La Habra CA) , as well as Bacon, and Zutano were all chance California seedlings. One thing you should start thinking about is how much winter freeze you have. The most cold-tolerating Avos I know of are the Mexicola and the Duke, which can tolerate down to 20 F. That's not to say you can't grow out your new babies. But maybe as a beginner, just be prepared to move them indoors over the winter. The most common hardiness levels for a majority of Avos will be around 25 to 30 F. Since you are on the Coast, this may be do-able for you. Hope this helps. By the way, Goji Berry is a wonderful coastal fruit to grow, tailor made for your climate and situation if you want to "branch out" ...he he.

Postby Alan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:23 am

Alan

Climate Zone: USDA zone 9b
Thanks for the response! We rarely see below 30 F... in fact if we do, it's only during the coldest part of the night. If we do get it in the daytime it's rare that it lasts more than 1 day.

I would say that 25 F has never happened here... maybe once or twice in my 32 years of life. Again, it doesn't last longer than about a day. Can they tolerate cold temps for short periods like that? My next biggest conundrum is trying to figure out where to get grafting wood. I think next year would be the best time to try to graft since they are still small. I've pinched off the upper most leaves to try to get them to branch a little more. One thing I noticed when I moved them from the compost pile was that each one has a black looking branch on them. I'm assuming this is dead? Is this something I can remove with pruning shears or should I use a sharp knife?

I'm interested in the Goji Berries. . . Are they invasive like the blackberries i'm having problems with? What do they taste like? :)

Postby Phacelia » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:48 am

Phacelia

Location: coastal mediterranean california. Urban. SF Bay Area.
Climate Zone: Sunset 17, USDA 10
mmmm...goji berries. Not invasive, but you could easily try some from a health food store to see if you like them. They are one of those recently propagandized superfoods, so it should be easy to find somebody selling them.

As far as finding grafting wood, I'm no big expert but the first thing I would think of is joining the CFRG...maybe go look at cfrg.org and chat with some members. They are very generous with scions and doing exchanges all the time. I once won a Babaco Papaya cutting at a meeting raffle. Very exciting.

Are you so coastal that you rarely get heat and sun? It would be good to learn the likely parentage of the Avocados you were eating. They can vary kind of widely as to what they have genetically adapted to.... It's good that you have more than one. A really long time ago I read something about increased fruiting if you have an Avo from the "A type" near an Avo of the "B type" but I'm a little mystified about what it all means.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:28 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login