• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

A hello and a couple of questions

Postby posturedoc » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:47 pm

posturedoc

Climate Zone: USDA zone 7a
Hello from Reno, NV. I've been reading the Cloudforest forums off and on for years and thought it was time to make it official. Questions are always great motivators for joining in, and I have a couple that I hope one or more of you can answer.

I went to the CRFG scion exchange in Sacramento last Sunday. I had a great time and picked up lots of wood I look forward to grafting or rooting. I have a particular interest in figs and picked up cuttings of several varieties, but while chatting with several other folks who had questions about figs, I may have mislabeled one variety.

There were three Italian numbered varieties, 253, 395 and ???. I picked up 395 and one of the other two, which I thought was 253, but ended up with one labeld Italian 265, a number I can't find in the internet literature. Did any of you attend the Sacramento exchange and do you recall the third Italian numbered fig? For those of you who may be familiar with the fig cuttings generally made available to all of the CRFG exchanges, do you know what the third Italian numbered fig was (I'm assuming the Italians were all taken from Prusch Park)? Finally, if I did not have a distraction malfunction and, indeed, have Italian 265, can anybody shed some light on what type of fig I have?

One further question: Outside of the weekend each December when lots of the cuttings available at these exchanges are taken from Prusch Park, are there any other times when cuttings are available from the trees in the fig collection, even green cuttings while the trees are actively growing? I visit the Bay Area on occasion and would love to make a trip to see the orchards in the park but it would be an extra plus if I could walk away with a few unusual and difficult to find fig cuttings while I was there.

Thanks,

Neil

Re: A hello and a couple of questions

Postby Axel » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:26 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Welcome. I didn't go to the Sacramento scion exchange, you may want to post in the main forum. The fig collection at Prush Park is public, I am sure someone from the Santa Clara chapter can help you.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby posturedoc » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:59 am

posturedoc

Thanks, Axel. I'll repost in the main forum.

Postby mgginva » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:11 pm

mgginva

Climate Zone: USDA 7A
Neil,
Howdy stranger.

Postby posturedoc » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:46 pm

posturedoc

Yo, Mike! Glad to have another familiar poster here.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:06 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login