• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Re: Hello from Boulder Creek...

Postby Deb » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:22 am

Deb

Climate Zone: 9
Hello Jason,

Thanks for your post. I agree that it would be worth a shot to try a dwarf. Axel's suggestion that a full-size coconut palm may not have the same issues as the dwarf palms (though they will no doubt have a few of their own--height, for instance), is also a good one. So I am considering trying one of each. Through the process I hope to learn the needs and natures of both and hopefully will find strategies for keeping them alive. I'm grateful I now have a forum to discuss the things which will no doubt come up along the way.

As for your idea of a south-facing placement, I think I have just the spot. So it may not be the greenhouse right from the start, though I hope they get there eventually, especially the tall one. Otherwise we will have to cut a hole through the roof of the house. Who knows? I might just do it!

--Deb

Postby Axel » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:32 am

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Jason is right, if it's fruit you eventually want, a dwarf coconut is the better way to go, but be forewarned about the slower growth.

By all means, feel free to use the Cloudforest to report your progress. There are many people here that will support you through such an endeavor, part of the fun is to break the boundaries of what can be done.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby Deb » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:01 pm

Deb

Climate Zone: 9
Slow growth? I'll take that! It's the fast growth that will keep me up at night ;)

You can bet I'll be checking in with the Cloudforest folks for questions and advice along the way, and hopefully small successes.

Thanks again!

Deb

Postby Coldwatercat » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:42 pm

Coldwatercat

Climate Zone: 5
I am very interested in how this turned out. I just found Cloudforest, and I notice that these posts are from about a year ago. I'm in Iowa now, but I plan to move to the NW in the spring, and I want to have a green house to grow tropicals like coconuts, pineapples, and vanilla orchid. So... how's it going?

Postby Axel » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:45 pm

Axel
Site Admin

I have not seen Deb online here at the Cloudforest. Coconut is a long shot unless you have a heated greenhouse and you are willing to pay to keep temps above 50F. Pineapple is your best bet as it fruits down here in California in an unheated greenhouse.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby Coldwatercat » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:59 pm

Coldwatercat

I might be willing to heat my green house. My question is, how tall do coconut palms grow? If they grow on bush size palms like dates, I might be able to pull it off. If they grow more than a story tall, then that's a different matter.

Postby Axel » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:21 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Coconuts are giant trees. You can get a dwarf coconut to bear fruit sooner, but man, hope you're willing to pay for heat, because you will need it. Keeping the greenhouse above 50F is the base requirement to keep them alive, but not to fruit. Let me put it into perspective. My house is too cold for coconuts because we let the temp drop to 62F overnight in the Winter.

Anyway, even a dwarf coconut will outgrow a single story height before it starts to fruit.

But, knowing all the difficulties, why not give it a shot?

Postby Coldwatercat » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:17 pm

Coldwatercat

Thanks, for the info. It looks like there are lots of obstacles. I plan to try other fruit trees that are not native to where I plan to do this. I'm in Iowa now, but I'm moving to the NW probably next spring. I will grow avocados, and probably mangos, vanilla orchid, date palm, and pineapples, so I was thinking that while I was at it... sort of thing. Do you know if coconut palms can be bonsai-ed? Or maybe espalier-ed? I don't want to pester you, I'm just always hungry for info. Thanks for your help. :)

Previous

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:26 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login