• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Hello from Bulgaria

Postby Hristo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:20 am

Hristo

Climate Zone: USDA 6b
Hi all,
My name is Hristo and I live in Bulgaria. I'm mainly in to the edible plants, and for me the taste is most important. The last time I checked my seed inventory there were more than 2000 varieties/species from all over the world, but due to lack of space I mostly grow veggies. Only recently began to pay more attention to the fruits. I do not have many fruit varieties, probably between 30 and 40 - apples, pears, plums, apricots, sweet and sour cherries, cherry plums, quinces, walnuts, hazelnuts, cornelian cherries, medlars and some others, also 30-40 grape varieties. Nearly all of them are planted by my grand parents or by the previous owners of the property, so I do not know the names of most of them.
Absolute minimum: -28 degrees Celsius; Average minimum: -16-18 C; Average frost-free period: 20 April to 15 October; Usual high temperatures during summer: 33 to 36 C (rarely up to 40 C); Average annual rainfall: 600 mm.

Re: Hello from Bulgaria

Postby Axel » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:09 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Welcome to the Cloudforest. What sorts of edibles do you grow? 2000 seeds sounds like a lot, but I suppose it's equivalent to my large fruit collection (around 1,000 different varieties).
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Re: Hello from Bulgaria

Postby Hristo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:21 pm

Hristo

Climate Zone: USDA 6b
I'm searching and planting when I get it anything that is supposed to taste more than just OK. Out of these 2000+ seeds probably I will never plant 1/3 of them, because they are either too usual or I'm sure they are not good enough. Of course most seeds are of usual species/varieties like (~) 600 tomatoes, 100 melons, 60 squashes, 30 watermelons, peppers, maize, potatoes, culinary herbs, undomesticated species etc. The problem with the herbaceous/annual plants is that after some point they become nearly impossible to care and maintain by a hobbyist, so I'm beginning to look more and more toward the perennial species, but still I will grow my favorite annuals. Also I'm a hobby breeder.

1000 fruit varieties! In this case Edens Garden is even more appropriate as a name than Cloudforest Garden ;) . I wonder how often you hear: "Which one is your favorite fruit?"
Absolute minimum: -28 degrees Celsius; Average minimum: -16-18 C; Average frost-free period: 20 April to 15 October; Usual high temperatures during summer: 33 to 36 C (rarely up to 40 C); Average annual rainfall: 600 mm.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:37 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login