• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Hello from Central California

Postby jdiaz31089 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:52 pm

jdiaz31089

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 9
Hello! My name is Josue (Joshua) from Fresno, CA. I have been a lurker at the cloudforest cafe for some years, although I've never made a formal introduction here and I think I may have posted just once years ago.

I am originally from Cabanas in El Salvador, which is located high in the cloudforests of Central America, near the border with Honduras. My grandfather had a very successful coffee plantation for many years before he passed away, and now I own land there that is mostly wild and filled with wildlife and vegetation. I've been able to identify several of the plants that grow wild there which include several annona species (including A. squamosa,) Pouteria species, Spondias species, Passiflora species, various guavas, mango species, avocado species, musa species, guarana and many, many more (too many to list!)

I've been trying my hand at growing exotics since about 2005 or so when I began planting temperate fruit trees in my backyard in Chowchilla, CA. That soon led to citrus trees and eventually to the more exotic fruits like Sechium edule, Passiflora edulis and Persea americana among others.

I purchased a house in Central Fresno last fall and am now venturing into growing plants that are a bit more tender for my area. Fresno is a little higher in elevation and typically a degree or two warmer than my previous location in Chowchilla so it gives me a bit of confidence for growing things such as lychee. I look forward to posting here more often and interacting with you all to improve our collective knowledge of growing exotic plants far from their native ranges.

Cheers!
Josue

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:10 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login