• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Hello from England, & help please in naming unknown fruit

Postby Milo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:58 am

Milo

Climate Zone: UK
I have just returned from the Seychelles, where I came across an exotic fruit unknown to me. It is yellow and pear-shaped, about the size of an avocado with skin that resembles that of a melon. Inside, the flesh is creamy looking but somewhat dry and "powdery" to the taste. The locals call it a "zapok" but I can find no mention of this name on the internet and presume that it is a local name. I do have several pictures and I would be very grateful for any help in identifying this fruit.

Re: Hello from England, & help please in naming unknown frui

Postby Axel » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:27 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
You probably ate a canistel. It's a very common tropical fruit, pear shaped, bright yellow, and orange inside. It tastes a bit like a sweet potato.

Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby Milo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:16 pm

Milo

Climate Zone: UK
That's it ! Many thanks, I also noticed the powdery texture of hard boiled egg yolk.

Postby RodneyS » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:11 am

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Greetings, Milo! Good to hear you received a positive ID of the fruit you were asking for! Hope to hear more from you on the forums

Pip, pip, cheerio!

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:30 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login