• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Hello from French Guiana

Postby colombo973 » Tue May 24, 2011 8:04 pm

colombo973

Climate Zone: USDA 12b
Hi everybody,

I am Richard. I live in the smallest country of south america, a french overseas territory named French Guiana. I started to grow some fruit trees since last year. My first tree was a custard apple bought at a nursery and six month later i had to build my own greenhouse for near an hundred various seedling.
As i was a pure beginner, i first planted local fruit trees and i have been quickly more and more interested about other tropical fruits in the world. I'm particularly attracted by Garcinias, Annonas and Eugenias.
As the local climate is very hot and wet almost all the year, i hope to grow a large range of fruits, rare or not.

Warmest regards

Richard

Re: Hello from French Guiana

Postby RodneyS » Tue May 24, 2011 8:07 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Greetings Richard. Do you grow mangosteen? It sounds like you have the ideal climate for them

Postby colombo973 » Tue May 24, 2011 8:33 pm

colombo973

Hi RodneyS,

Yes, i'am growing purple mangosteen. I've planted my first mangosteen plant (2 years old) two month ago. I hope to have first fruits in 3 or 4 years. As you say, it's the ideal climate for mangosteen, but surprisingly, local farmers have started to grow it only 7-8 years ago. This is the second production year here. The season start on february and end in may.
Mangosteen is realy delicious but i'm also seeking for Achachairu and Mexican Achachairu that seems very interesting.

Postby Axel » Tue May 24, 2011 8:46 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Sounds fascinating. If it's hot and humid, are you going to grow some durians? That would be a must given the great climate.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby colombo973 » Wed May 25, 2011 7:21 am

colombo973

Axel, please don't speak about Durians, the season have just ended and i don't know how to survive the rest of the year without my daily durian dose. :?
I've kept some seeds from the best ones i have eaten, and they germinated easily. But, i know that durian is very variable from seeds, so i will try to have selected scions for grafting.
Here some pics of my little nursery.

My mangoustans...

One Durian at the center (one month old) with two brazilian cherry on the left.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:34 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login