• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

hello from Los Gatos

Postby joehewitt » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:30 am

joehewitt

Climate Zone: USDA 9b, Sunset 16
I've learned so much from reading the discussions here over the years so I thought I should actually join!

I a home gardener in Los Gatos, CA, in the foothills of the Santa Cruz mountains overlooking Silicon Valley. It's USDA zone 9b and Sunset zone 16 here. I grow all the usual stuff (it once was the mecca of apricots and plums), but have been developing an obsession for subtropicals.

For two years I've been growing macadamia, avocados (both mexican and guatemalan), and edible bananas. Still too young for fruit/nuts, but they've come through the winters just fine. This year I am adding cherimoya, white sapote, and mangoes to the garden.

Re: hello from Los Gatos

Postby mattcoug » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:19 pm

mattcoug

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 15, USDA zone 9b
This is great. Have you found a local nursery selling cherimoya trees? I've been searching around the south bay area for the past couple weeks with no luck.

-Matt

Postby joehewitt » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:56 am

joehewitt

Climate Zone: USDA 9b, Sunset 16
I talked to a couple of local nurseries that claimed to have Cherimoya (Menlo Growers, God's Little Acre), but when I went down there they turned out to have African Pride Atemoya, which is a Sugar Apple/Cherimoya hybrid that is more cut out for Southern California.

I eventually bought two grafted Cherimoyas in 5 gallon pots via eBay, of all places.

http://stores.ebay.com/iplantusa/cherri ... 2841925013

The trees arrived in great shape and I'd recommend buying from that seller.

Postby mattcoug » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:58 pm

mattcoug

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 15, USDA zone 9b
Ouch, it is $110 for a 5 gallon tree! Is this a common price?

Postby Lorax » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:43 am

Lorax
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset 17
I have some extra grafted Cherimoya trees available in Santa Cruz. They are in 5 Gallons with 1" caliper trunks and are ready for planting out. I have the following varieties available for $35 each; Boothe, Spain, HoneyHart, and perhaps another miscellaneous variety or 2 still. Send a PM for more info.

Postby Smarteapantz » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:43 pm

Smarteapantz

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 15, USDA Zone 9b
I just bought a Honeyhart Cherimoya tree last week from Lowes on Coleman Ave in San Jose (by the airport and Costco). $35 for 5-gallon, and they were decent sized (about 4 feet tall). They had about 5 trees then. You can give that Lowes a call and see if they still have any before you head over, or you can ask them to hold it or special order it for you. Good luck! :)

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:43 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login