• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Hello from Portland OR

Postby schmerber » Fri May 17, 2013 9:37 am

schmerber

Climate Zone: usda zone 8b
Hello everyone my name is Zach and I live in Portland Oregon zone 6/7 on a ½ acre plot of land in the city. I am currently growing 2 grafted pair trees 2 grafted apple trees 2 fig trees 1 cherry tree 1 Asian pair blueberries pineapple guava huckleberry strawberry and all of you standard yearly garden greens. Currently I have become dedicated to creating a large heated greenhouse.

I am in the process of building this greenhouse as and would love any input people may have about operating a heated greenhouse. The greenhouse will consist of duel pained tempered glass and will be heated with a radiant coil floor. The power source will be the 4 solar hot water heating panels I picked up with an electric backup. I am still debating whether to make the floor cement and have radiant coils inside the cement or to just have a gravel floor and have the radiant coils running through the raised beds. I think I will be documenting the build and try to post frequently about my findings during the build of this project.

I also keep chicken on the property. Currently I am building a chicken tractor with some unique traits that should help keep out predators and improve winter coop tempters as the same time. It also incorporates a weighted perch that swings shut secondary coup door once all of the chickens are on the night perch. When they jump off there perch in the morning the door opens and the chickens are free to scratch and peck.

I have spent much of my life behind a computer screen as I am an IT guy. I love reading about posts on this sight because people here seem to have the fascination with amazing rare fruits and vegetables that I do. I hope to learn as much as I can about these exotic plants so I can make my greenhouse thrive with exotic plant life.

I am impressed with the time and effort that is put into the study and cultivation of these exotic plants. I am excited to learn and talk with all of you about the tips and tricks to cultivating a fruitful garden! Cheers
-Zach

Re: Hello from Portland OR

Postby gregorycushing » Tue May 21, 2013 4:54 pm

gregorycushing

Climate Zone: 8B
Hi Zach.
If you check my posts, I primarily focus on guava but, I have some of about everything. Pears, oranges, tangerines, mulberries, avocado, plums, grapes, ect. I suspect I have a more moderate climate. My green house has been a regular fight with scale but, still worth doing, good luck.
http://s6.photobucket.com/user/GregoryC ... t=3&page=1
Do you have a drawing of the automatic door?

Re: Hello from Portland OR

Postby schmerber » Wed May 22, 2013 9:00 am

schmerber

Climate Zone: usda zone 8b
no drawing but my set up will be like the one in this link:
http://hanburyhouse.com/no-battery-no-e ... coop-door/
I will check out your posts and i will take some pictures of the coupe as put it together for ya.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:04 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login