• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Hello from Portugal and Holland

Postby Solko » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:22 am

Solko

Climate Zone: USDA 9
Hello everyone,

My name is Solko and I live in Holland. I have recently bought a little piece of land in Portugal, which I can only attend to once every three months. As a city dweller, I have long had this dream and am happy to start cultivating something in the ground now (my window-sills have been full of plants for the last twenty years...). This piece of land used to be cultivated, it is a terraced hillside, but it was abandoned and it has gotten overgrown with Eucalyptus trees. I will try to turn it into an orchard, that will not need a lot of watering or maintenance. And while doing so I don't want to lose the 'forest-feel', so I don't want to take out all the Eucalyoptus trees and start with little trees on bare ground. (This is what most people recommend me to do) I don't know if I am being stupid or stubborn here, but I want to try it this way.
I have already planted among the Eucalyptyus small seedlings and trees of citrus, avocado, apple, pear and peach, kaki and cherimoya, all a mix of local varieties and things I found interesting. I hope the existing forest will give the small trees enough protection in dry summer and freezing winter, and when the small trees grow larger I plan to remove any Eucalyptus that is too close to them.
I planted maybe ten times too much trees as the place can handle, and I figure that among these far from ideal conditions nature will help me select out those trees that want to thrive in this place... Anyway it is a bit of an experiment.
Here are some pictures of the place:
DSCN1138.jpg
DSCN1138.jpg (103.18 KiB) Viewed 614 times

DSCN4506.jpg
DSCN4506.jpg (119.58 KiB) Viewed 614 times

I planted seedlings of a lot of citrus and avocado's, because I figured i first have to get something growing there. If some of them will actually take, i would love to exchange varieties of topwood with you all here. Anyway, nice to meet you all and I'll keep you informed of my experiment.
Cheers,
Solko

Re: Hello from Portugal and Holland

Postby RodneyS » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:48 am

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Welcome Solka!

Can't wait to see how your garden shapes up over time

Postby Axel » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:04 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Welcome to the Cloudforest.

I can tell you from my own experience that what you are trying to do is not optimal. The eucs not only take away light but also nutrients and also make growth inhibitors. It's not reasonable to expect your fruit trees to compete with eucs. The fruit trees don't stand a chance and won't grow.

You are much better off clearing, preparing the ground and then planting.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby nullzero » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:49 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Beautiful pictures, should be interesting to see it in a few years.

Postby rar » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:28 pm

rar

Climate Zone: Zone 10
Amazing pics. Welcome!

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:16 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login