• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Hello from San Diego County, California

Postby hoosierquilt » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:22 pm

hoosierquilt

Climate Zone: 10a/Sunset 23
Thought I should introduce myself. My name is Patty, and I live in N. San Diego county, not too far from the beach in the hills of Vista. I live on about an acre and have over a 100 different fruit trees, bushes and vines. Most of my fruits are citrus (about 50 different varieties) and stone/pome fruits. I live in a unique area where I have a fair number of chill hours, but it rarely ever drops below 32 degrees, which affords me the ability to grow a wide variety of different fruit trees. I do see a few folks I recognize from other forums (hi Laaz!), and look forward to chatting with the folks here. I see a lot of California gardeners, so that's fun to be able to compare our California gardens, but look forward to hearing about everyone's wonderful gardens and their special fruits.
Patty S.

The glory of gardening: hands in the dirt, head in the sun, heart with nature. To nurture a garden is to feed not just on the body, but the soul. ~ Alfred Austin

Re: Hello from San Diego County, California

Postby Forrest » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:52 pm

Forrest

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 24
Hi Patty!

I'm just a bit southwest in Del Mar. Congratulations on your orchard, it's quite inspiring. I am looking to move to a larger piece of land and do just like you are.

Being in Vista, you must drop by Exotica Nursery and get an air layer of the Purple Smyrna fig Steve sells there, it may well be the best fig on Planet Earth! It is not the Dave Wilson variety it is something wholly different and very special.

I like Vista, but only once I get past Warmlands :) I wonder if you know Barry Koral and his fruit farm?

Postby hoosierquilt » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:46 am

hoosierquilt

Hi Forrest, thanks for the welcome. I do frequent Exotica, and I'll definitely make a trip there to pick up the Smyrna fig, thanks for the tip! Don't know Barry Koral, is he a CRFG member by chance? We have a meeting this Friday. Julie Frink from UC Irvine's Avocado Collection will be speaking about avocados. Will not be missing that for sure!
Patty S.

The glory of gardening: hands in the dirt, head in the sun, heart with nature. To nurture a garden is to feed not just on the body, but the soul. ~ Alfred Austin

Postby Forrest » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:59 pm

Forrest

Hi Patty, I unfortunately can't make Julie's talk. I have to work that evening :( She is a friend of mine, and a real sweetheart, perhaps tell her I say hello? I will surely visit her at the Carpinteria Avofest though.

Barry Koral lives out on Warmlands. He's an interesting guy, a very big deal in the SD raw food community, a speaker/motivator, and sells his fruit Sunday mornings @ the Hillcrest Farmer's Market. I used to volunteer helping out in his orchard, and I have some nice memories of my times at his place.

Yes, it behooves (I love that word) you to pick up the Purple Smyrna. It may well be the best fig in the world. It's similar to a more well known variety called Zidi. If I lived in that wonderful zone 23, it's the first thing I'd plant.

Enjoy Julie's talk!

Postby hoosierquilt » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:53 pm

hoosierquilt

Oh gosh, Barry lives "around the corner" from me. I'm surprised I don't know who he is. I wonder why he doesn't also sell his fruit at the Vista Farmers Market on Saturday mornings? Perhaps he does. We are going to be having a tour this winter up at the Avocado Collection, so stay tuned for that. Not to be missed for sure. Looks like I'll be making a trip to Exotica tomorrow! And, I'll make sure to say hi for you to Julie. Oddly, I have to work tomorrow night as well (I'm on call), but was able to get coverage for 3 hours with one of my colleagues. I was determined not to miss Julie.
Patty S.

Postby Forrest » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:08 pm

Forrest

Hi Patty,

I just checked out your profile for the first time, I am impressed! You have amassed quite a collection of plants. Do you have some sort of website with pictures of your yard? You see, I constantly dream of buying a larger parcel and indulging this gardening thing, but it's very important to me that it be a beautiful place and that I retain a balance between things and space. I've been to too many yards where I couldn't walk around and felt claustrophobic- no thanks! So I'm looking for a good example.

Have a nice time at Exotica! I was there 2 weeks ago eating those purple smyrnas off the tree with Steve, I probably ate 40, and he broke a big branch trying to reach a ripe one. He totally spazzed out and even started swearing. Very out of character for Steve and quite funny :D

Yes, Barry is a cool guy indeed, and likely the only guy at the farmers market selling Taroccos!

PS: do you have the Jan Boyce avo tree? It's Julie's favorite and Atkins Nursery in Fallbrook just got the official release to start selling it. I just got mine Wednesday, it is hands down the most gorgeous 5 gallon tree I've seen, chest height and bushy, only $25! Atkins has really great grafters, all their stuff grows like a rocket. Brokaw is good too.

Postby hoosierquilt » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:07 am

hoosierquilt

I do have some pics, I'll post them on my profile in the next few days. And yes, I have a lovely Jan Boyce. I got it from Dave down at Bonita Creek Nursery has them, along with a few other great avos (Sharwil for one). I'll let you know how I fare with the Smryna fig!
Patty S.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:39 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login