• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Hello from San Diego!

Postby brewcider » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:26 am

brewcider

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 21
Hi I'm Travis! I'm 36 and bought my first house 5 years ago in Poway (inland San Diego) and it had a Valencia Orange and a Dancy mandarin in the yard and I thought they were cool and I started buying trees and it's gotten a little out of control! It was a lot of work digging holes, moving dirt, setting up the irrigation, but finally it's all finished. Actually it will be once I buy a macadamia nut tree (there's always room somewhere, right?)

Here's my current collection

apples:
gala, fuji, anna, golden dorsett, pink lady, granny smith, mutsu, calville blanc, white winter peramain, golden russet, gravenstein, bramley's seedling, braeburn

citrus:
nagami kumquat, meiwa kumquat, lisbon lemon, eureka lemon, bearss lime (x2), mexican lime (x2), valencia orange, cara cara orange, yosemite gold mandarin, dancy mandarin, kishu mandarin, tango mandarin

figs:
black mission, celestial, kadota, peters honey

cherries:
3-in-1 tree (black tartarian, van, lapins), minnie royal, royal lee

avocados:
hass (x2), fuerte, wertz, holiday, sharwill

misc:
blueberries (x8), pomegranite, banana, jujube

Re: Hello from San Diego!

Postby RodneyS » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:02 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Hello brewcider & welcome to the CloudForest!

That's quite a collection you have there. I also started modestly with some cherimoya seedlings and here I am now.

Which blueberries are your favorites?

Postby nullzero » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:03 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Welcome to the forums! Impressive list of fruit trees, my favorites from your list are Bearss Lime, Cara Cara Orange, and all the Avocados :). Looks like you need to add Mulberry and Persimmon to the list :D.

Postby brewcider » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:04 pm

brewcider

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 21
Thanks for the wecoming!

I have O'neal, Misty, Jubilee, and Southmoon and they're all great! I usually pick them all at the same time and make pies with them so they get mixed together. I guess I'd have to say my favorite is the one that makes the most berries and O'neal seems to make the most and biggest berries.
My dad has an orchard himself and I believe he's planting persimmons, but he has over 60 trees so I'd have to ask. He has more of the stone fruits such as pluots, plums, plumcots, and nectarines. And I have apples. We both have citrus and avocados though, but we try buying different varieties, this way we can compare and trade. Eventually we'll get into grafting and do some scion exchanges between us.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:12 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login