• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Hello from SanDiego county

Postby cptmb » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:02 pm

cptmb

Climate Zone: sunset zone 23
Just moved into a fixer upper place in sunset zone 23. The entire property (including the mini orchard) has not been well maintained for the last 10 years or so. Many of the trees are sick or dead or dying while some of the younger ones are doing okay. I'm a novice gardener lucky enough to be learning the ropes during the communication age. I'm a fishing capt. by trade and have spent half of my life on the water. Now that I'm getting older I'd like to spend more time on the beach. Farming and fishing have been in my family for generations upon generations. My grandfather on my mothers side was a fisherman. My grandfather on my fathers side was a tea farmer. They have long passed away so unfortunately their knowledge is lost to me. I'm pretty sure I have a green thumb, maybe too green in fact. I'd like to turn this property into a permaculture, saving what trees I can and planting new tropicals where old ones are lost. Lots of work but from what I can see the journey is a never ending one in the garden. I've already begun to make costly mistakes but that is another story for another discussion. Hope to meet you all in the future. Break a limb.

Re: Hello from SanDiego county

Postby RodneyS » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:10 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Greetings & welcome!

San Diego county has a lot of sources for fruit trees, both common & exotic. I also enjoy fishing, mostly 3/4 day ocean fishing, pier fishing & local park lake fishing. Where did your ship operate from? I've been out on boats operating from Seaforth landing and I'm aware of H&M landing.

Postby cptmb » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:05 pm

cptmb

Hi Rodney, nice to meet u. just got done posting my blunder. I've worked out of H&M, Point Loma, Fisherman's, Seaforth, 22nd street and Pier Point. If you're familiar with Sea Forth, I ran the legend for a season a couple years ago.

Postby nullzero » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:01 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Welcome to the forums, sounds like you are going to have a fun and rewarding experience with the garden. Are you planning on planting perennial vegetables?

Postby cptmb » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:59 am

cptmb

Hi Nullzero, nice to meet u. Yes eventually. I need to do projects inside like drywall and painting while sneaking off to the yard when possible. I also need to build 4 retaining walls, and figure out fencing plans to keep out rabbits, raccoon, possum and skunk before I dare plant an extended garden. In the mean time I plan on amending the soil with a green manure crop. I'm waiting on my second shipment of seeds to come in. For the main property, I ordered a blend of barley, bell beans, dundale beans, purple and common vetch to which I'll also mix in white cayuse oats, tritical and mustard, all of which are supposed to be "organic". In the easment I'm going to use mustard, and a premix of ryegrass, common barley, crimson clover, and rose clover as erosion control and beneficial attractant so I might let it go to seed, not sure yet. It has already rained here twice this fall so I'm worried weeds have too much of a head start or it won't be warm enough for the seeds I chose but gonna give it a try anyways. Please feel free to give me suggestions.

Postby nullzero » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:12 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
cptmb,

Really depends on what your goal is. If you are planning on having year around food harvest. I would start looking into establishing perennial vegetables like Moringa (should withstand winter lows), Chaya, Asparagus, Opuntia ficus-indica (pads and fruits), Toona Sinensis, bunching onions/walking onions, perennial tree kale, Artichoke. Then focus on nut and fruit trees. If you want to grow some easy to harvest grains; amaranth, quinoa, and hulless oats.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:31 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login