• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Hello from Santa Cruz

Postby coastwind » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:24 pm

coastwind

Climate Zone: Sunset 16 / USDA 9b
Hello everyone! I have been reading the Cloudforest Gardener for years and finally signed up recently. I bought a house with my wife in the "banana belt" area of Santa Cruz and am in the process of planting around it with a little of everything that I can. I already have bananas of many types, mountain coconuts, pitaya, Reed and Haas avocado, Fredrick passion fruit, mountain pineapple, and a lot more. I planted a young cherimoya that I hope works out and both yellow and red tamarillos (that are not happy for some reason) and I am looking for other good plants to grow. If anyone has suggestions they are very welcome.

Re: Hello from Santa Cruz

Postby Lorax » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:33 am

Lorax
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset 17
Welcome coastwind,
You are certainly in a lovely micro climate for fruits! I am growing Cherimoya and White Sapote in the "lower" Banana Belt below Goss north of Market St. And so far so good. The Tamarillo's like a lot of shade and or filtered light for me. My Pineapples are fruiting outdoors right now! Strawberry Guava and pineapple guava are easy to grow and fairly drought tolerant. I have extra red Tamarillo and Guava plants if you would like any PM me. Did you plant a White Sapote or find Santa Cruz scion yet?

Re: Hello from Santa Cruz

Postby coastwind » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:30 pm

coastwind

Climate Zone: Sunset 16 / USDA 9b
Hey there Lorax,

I guess we both speak for the trees. Thanks for your reply. It sounds like you have a beautiful garden! You are in a great area too. I have a very young pineapple guava that I got at the scion exchange of CRFG last year. It is doing well and takes no effort to be successful. I would absolutely love to get new guava and tamarillo plants. My tamarillios are in morning sun. That is how my grandfather had them planted at his place in Berkeley so I figured it would work here. I am still figuring everything out so i will try to PM in a bit. I have not planted a white sapote. After hearing about the SC scion I went and looked for the actual tree and found it but felt too sheepish to see if the owners would let me have my way with their tree. Do you have a scion? : )

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:09 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login