• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Hello from Sunny So-Cal!

Postby rar » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:00 am

rar

Climate Zone: Zone 10
Hi Everyone,

I am so pleased to join the forum. Sadly, I just moved from my house where I grew and enjoyed many exotics (Alfanso mango, sapote, cherimoya, pomegranate, curry leaf, pineapple guava, etc.) and had to leave them behind. Now, I'm in my new house with an empty backyard. While some might be sad, I look at this as a great opportunity to rediscover my old favorites and learn about some new plants. My house is zone 7 with full to part sun all throughout the yard. I hope you guys can help me repopulate my garden. Looking forward to meeting you all!

Re: Hello from Sunny So-Cal!

Postby RodneyS » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:10 am

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Welcome, rar!

Your yard is like an empty canvas, awaiting your vision of what it should be.

I can send you some dragonfruit cuttings to start your garden off.

Postby nullzero » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:00 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Rar,

Was confused when you said zone 7 in your post. Did you mean sunset zone 7? If you are a zone 10 and live in SoCal, you can grow just about anything. Top concern for SoCal is space, so I would aim for what is productive for the limited space you are working with. Citrus is a must for SoCal, unless you don't enjoy any citrus.

I would start with a few dwarf citrus like; Cara Cara orange, Bearss Lime, and Myer Lemon. Then look at adding the small productive perennial berries; strawberries, raspberries, boysenberries, blueberries, etc. After that, I would consider planting a good avocado with dwarfing stature.

I would then look to add unique and tasty edibles after the following were all planted in the ground or containers.

BTW, welcome to the forms.

Postby dnt72800 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:33 pm

dnt72800

Climate Zone: 10
Welcome to the forum rar.
It is fun to start off with an empty yard. I did the same with 24 planted last year and maybe 2-3 more in the future. I just stare at them daily now hoping for a miracle. Kind of boring :lol:.
regards

Postby rar » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:11 pm

rar

Hey Rodney - some dragon fruit would be great! Thanks! I have just the spot planned for it! Let's discuss on PM - I come to Cerritos often to grab some samosas.

Postby rar » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:13 pm

rar

Hi NullZero - My mistake - I am Zone 10. Just miss my old home I guess. I updated it on my profile (I think). Thanks for pointing it out.

Hi Dnt - Thanks for the welcome. I'm sure to get inspired by this community on new things to plant!

Postby RodneyS » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:37 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Do you buy samosas at Udupi Palace?

PM me when you're going to be in Cerritos

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:39 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login