• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Hello from Walnut Creek, CA.. w/Pinapple Guava ?s

Postby mverga » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:51 pm

mverga

Climate Zone: 9
My husband and I decided to join this forum since we have several fruit trees and are planning to add more. We have some trees that are probably 20+ years old - a cherry, an apple of unknown species, and a lemon. We have recently removed a pear and peach that were on their last legs. We planted a peach in another part of the yard and added a Meyer lemon to a large pot.

We give away some of our fruit to friends, and then my husband picks the fruit (and tomatoes in summer) and I take them to donate to the Contra Costa/Solano County food bank.

We are trying to decide what to plant in the space where the Pear and Peach used to be. We are trying to add fruit, but also create a 8-12 foot high screen. A few years ago, the house behind us removed about a third of an acre of trees to put in a pool and other hardscape. From our bedroom window, we look over a 6 foot back fence and can wave at the people on the next block, a major street. So a screen is high priority.

We had been thinking of adding several orange trees and pruning them together as a hedge. We were looking at Washington Navels and Robertson Navels. However, when we looked at the dwarf fruit stock, it appeared that it would take a very long time to get up to 8-10 feet if we choose dwarf varieties. And the Standards would require constant pruning to keep it low enough to pick and maintain.

We have had two nursery recommendations to consider planting Pineapple Guava trees (not shrubs). We do not know what the fruit tastes like, and that was our first question - does anyone have ideas about where we might find Pineapple Guava fruit (or maybe jam?) this time of year? We were also wondering if anyone has used a Pineapple Guava to create a screen? And lastly, does anyone know of any varieties that would do well in Sunset Zone 14? We would plant at least 2 trees, which hopefully would solve the pollination issue?

Finally, I was unsure as to where these questions should get posted - in what part of the cafe?

We are very glad to find such this web site!

Meg and Henry Verga

Re: Hello from Walnut Creek, CA.. w/Pinapple Guava ?s

Postby nullzero » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:43 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Hello welcome to the forums, Pineapple guava has a pleasant sweet slightly acidic flavor. Most people tend to enjoy, especially if its well ripened and a good variety.

Postby mverga » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:39 pm

mverga

Thanks! Do you have a particular variety that you like?

Postby nullzero » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:32 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
mverga wrote:Thanks! Do you have a particular variety that you like?

Look for 'Nazemetz' variety, its self fertile but bears heavier with a pollinator.

Postby luke_p » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:44 pm

luke_p

Climate Zone: Sunset 17/15
Hi Meg and Henry. I live in Pinole, CA- very close to you. I was at East Bay Nursery in Berekeley yesterday and they have a number of Pineapple guavas- also known as feijoas. They have seedlings as well as grafted varieites. I think they were about $35, and were fairly large. You said you wanted 'trees' not shrubs. As far as I know there isn't a difference except in how you prune them. I would recommend growing them as a shrub- you probably shouldn't have to prune them much at all in the beginning- they'll just do their own thing. I'm planning a similar project and was told to plant them about 8 feet apart for a nice screen/hedge. If you have deer the plants should be fairly resistant though a friend I saw last week had a tough time getting his plants established because the deer keep eating the fresh young growth- they leave the older stuff alone though fortunately. So if there are deer in your neighborhood you may want to consider some sort of protection early on. Be sure to report back with photos as your hedge grows. :)

Postby mverga » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:31 pm

mverga

Thank you so much!

Postby Oolie » Mon May 21, 2012 11:09 am

Oolie
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: sunset 23
pineapple guavas are on the trees in the later parts of the year, late summer through early winter, but they're worth it even if there is no fruit, the petals of the flowers are that tasty.

Postby mverga » Mon May 21, 2012 12:46 pm

mverga

Thank you. We did plant a pineapple guave about a month ago!

Postby luke_p » Mon May 21, 2012 6:56 pm

luke_p

Hi Meg,
Please report back on how they do for you. I recently planted three seedlings from OSH- curious to see if/when they bear fruit and how it tastes. There were a number of named varieties at the Merritt Plant sale in Oakland a couple weeks ago- I definitely recommend that future feijoa seekers in the local area consider going to the plant sale next year. They propagate their's from cuttings and sell them for a very reasonable price- less than $10. The ones I got from OSH (Orchard Supply) were $20 and fairly large, but as I said, they're seedlings so not sure how they'll turn out. I may try grafting at some point but what I really want is a hedge so I'm not keen on cutting the plants back (they are supposed to grow fairly slowly).

Postby luke_p » Mon May 21, 2012 6:57 pm

luke_p

Also- here is some info from Mark Albert regarding grafting of feijoas for those who are curious:

"The scionwood selection needs to have no
> buds shooting, and at this time of year generally starts about 6" back
> from a nice fat terminal branch, and can continue back
> a foot or two if the growth of that scion branch was vigorous. The scion
> wood is deleafed immediately by cutting the leaf petioles, and poly
> bagged. The scions need refrigeration if not grafted within 48 hours.
> The idea is to remove all the leaf services which
> will dry out the scion, while most of the petioles should be left to
> protect the bud which resides at the base of each petiole.
>
>
>
> This is the ideal time to graft (March), much better than January when I was
> passing out scionwood. Grafting is by far the easiest and most
> successful way to propagate it. Cuttings are not
> at all successful at this time of year. The current literature says
> cuttings taken in the fall are successful in a propagation greenhouse
> setup.
>
>
> The
> Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation: From Seed to Tissue
> Culture : A Practical Working Guide to the Propagation of over 1100
> Species, Va (Paperback)
>
>
> by Michael A. Dirr
> (Author), Charles W. Heuser (Author)
>
>
>
>
>
> Dirr gives details on hormone concentration for dipping the cuttings and
> what to expect. Percentages of takes is variable, depends on the unique
> genetics of the cultivar you are trying to root; some cultivars are
> much easier to root.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:32 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login