• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Hello, My name is...

Postby capitanbob » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:02 pm

capitanbob

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 20
Bob!
Sounds like a great forum, and I am hoping it will provide me with some much needed advice...
This summer we were fortunate enough to move into a fantastic home on a small 2 acre avocado orchard in Escondido (Northern San Diego county). We've been working very hard to clean up years of old palm, wood, and other green waste on the property and we are starting to see some great results.
I will do my best to update on our progress and share the results of our first harvest this spring. We are really loving this place - chickens, vegetables, citrus and muchos aguacates!
I'm sure there is a more appropriate forum to ask my first question, but I'm going to put it out there and see what happens...
The gentleman that is helping me with all of the hard labor is now suggesting we clean gather the substantial leaf litter under the trees, run it through the shredder, and distribute the mulch back around the trees (away from the trunks). I'm seeing conflicting literature on this an I am hoping someone out there can provide some advice. We also have a ton (figuratively?) of woody mulch from some all of the clean-up we have been doing. I have heard this might help with the P. Cinnamomi (Root Rot) Thanks!

Re: Hello, My name is...

Postby Axel » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:08 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Welcome. I hope you enjoy the forum.

Best bet for root rot prevention is a good soil fungus inoculate. It will outcompete the root rot.

Leave the leaves in place, no pun intended. They don't need to be mulched. They'll do a much better mulching job if left alone.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Re: Hello, My name is...

Postby capitanbob » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:19 pm

capitanbob

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 20
Excellent - going to look into this. Seeing lots of approaches on this (mulching with woody materials, using gypsum, trunk injections, etc)
[textlink=]http://www.avocadosource.com/wac1/wac1_p091.htm[/textlink])
but had not heard about inoculation. Not even sure at this point how to definitively tell what might be root rot and what might just be stress from a very hot summer and potentially inadequate watering. much to learn.
Thanks Axel.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:08 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login