• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Hola from Costa Rica...

Postby Claire Lipton » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:46 pm

Claire Lipton

Climate Zone: USDA zones 10 and 11
Hi there...my name is Claire. I live in Costa Rica, transplanted from Southern California 3 years ago. I live in the area on the Northern pacific coast known as Guanacaste. Our climate is mainly divided up into 2 seasons, wet and dry, with the dry being very hot and very windy, due to the seasonal winds known as the Papagayos, which blow directly offshore (E - W). And the rainy season is very rainy, with rain every day for the heaviest 3 months. So there are challenges, including over-ranched land that once must have been fertile volcanic soil but now has turned red and hard. All this being said, I am passionate about growing edibles/medicinals here, and feel I'm in a learning process of figuring what will survive year-round here and how to do it. So it's fun! I am also on my way to getting a little vivero started (the word for nursery here). This country is quite lacking in the ability to purchase a variety of rare, exotic edible plants. I look very forward to seeing what other Cloud Forest members have growing all over the world and what challenges you face and rewards you experience. I'm not an expert on anything, but contact me if you have interest in Acai palm (the Brazilian super-berry) or Moringa (the miracle tree), as these are two that I am successfully growing here and I am very excited about! Pura Vida my new friends...Claire

Re: Hola from Costa Rica...

Postby Axel » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:53 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Welcome! I often go to Nosara to unwind, I am very familiar with the climate. I visited a couple of mini farms while I was there last time. All sorts of things grow down there. Great climate for mangoes and bananas. Dry Winters and wet Summers are also ideal for lychees and longans.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby RodneyS » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:15 am

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Hola, Claire!

I also have an interest in edibles/medicinals. So far, I have tulsi (Holy Basil), longevity spinach (Gynura procumbens), chaya & moringa oleifera. I hope to obtain ashitaba, soon. The only source for plants that I know of is Horizonherbs.com

I have an "Para" dwarf acai seedling that was about a foot tall, but has suffered frost damage from the cold we've had. I'm hoping it recovers once the weather stays warm regularly. Do you grow the "Para" variety?

Postby biesanz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:56 pm

biesanz

Climate Zone: 11+ sort off,cooler
Hi Claire! I'm in upper Escazu myself, and about to try and sprout some dwarf Acai palms. Think they'll grow at 4500' elevation? A friend near Quepos has some 5' for 5$.

Have you been to the Ark Herb Farm?

Best,

Barry

Postby Axel » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:03 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
You should have no problems growing Acai at 4,500 feet elevation in Costa Rica, just make sure to provide plenty of water.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby biesanz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:20 pm

biesanz

Climate Zone: 11+ sort off,cooler
thanks! and look us up next visit. Bet we know a lot of the same people.

think I have achance with mangosteen, champedak or durian? my Jackfruits are doing fine

see biesanzwoodworks.com web or FB

Go Banana Slugs!

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:05 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login